Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstallation of Max OS X

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Latitude

Latitude

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:47 PM

I'm new to the world of Macs. Much more of a PC guy. In fact this is the first time I turned one on and it was to help a friend who has a old G3 Ibook A1007.

It was missing a power cord and he doesn't remember his account password to it. Apart from that he said there was another issue such as it not going online or something so I figured I would just
reinstall the whole operating system and give it a clean slate to work with.

Well the data is backed up. I did some reading and found out this is a PPC processor but still has the OS X installed on it.

He no longer has the original software installation disk so I downloaded a few versions online. Each one specified "PPC And Intel" or some such. And yet 3 expensive DVD-DL later and
I've still had no luck.

OS 9 did fine but I don't want to stick him with that. I tried OS X from flash disk, root HDD, and the dvd's.

Can you steer me in the right direction? This project of a "few hours" has started to become days and I am getting very burnt out on it....

The grey Apple screen comes on but it finishes loading. 30+ minutes later.... nothing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:35 PM

Not sure where you "downloaded a few versions online" from, but my understanding is you have to call Apple and request new installation media (at a relatively small price) for that specific model.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=893304

You cannot use another computer's set of install discs unless they are from the exact same model. For example, you cannot use an iMac's set for a MBP.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 06 July 2011 - 01:35 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 gixxer1300r

gixxer1300r

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:26 AM

buy a retail OSX panther disk off ebay that should run in your Ibook A1007. Panther is version 10.3.x and is still a very workable OS by todays standards. It does not need a lot of memory.

If the macbook was 1ghz and has at least 512 meg of ram you can run OSX leopard on it. 10.5.x is the last Mac OS to support both PPC and intel.

Edited by gixxer1300r, 23 September 2011 - 09:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users