Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Iastor0 Error in Event Viewer(Computer Freezes)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 valley_girl1919

valley_girl1919

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:28 PM

Hi! I'm looking for advice on how to troubleshoot or fix an error in Event Viewer.

Error in Event Viewer states Event ID 9 "the device, \device\ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period."

I have re-imaged Windows XP SP3 on a Dell Optiplex 755 and everything seemed fine at first but the user noticed that they could not restart the PC at the end of the day because a "end now network activity" message kept popping up, the only way they could shut the pc down was by the power button. After turning the pc back on everything was fine and they could log onto the network fine and the computer worked fine, but after leaving the computer on over night and checking it the next morning there was just a image of the background, no icons, I could move the cursor but that's it ctrl+alt+del did not even work, so I had to shutdown the pc by the power button. I have come to conclude that before the computer freezes completely there is a problem with pulling up a webpage, you can click on IE but nothing comes up and I also can't get into manage by right clicking on My Computer. What is weird is that other application seem to run ok until the whole system freezes up.

So, I looked in Event Viewer and noticed when the freezing starts that their is an Event ID9 error like I stated above. I have never seen this before, but am certain this is the cause of the problem. I have been setting up workstations with WinXP and have never had this problem now all of a sudden I am having the problem with a handful of Dell Optiplex 755 PC's. I have made sure that the drivers are installed and up to date. Does anyone know if running the command sfc \scannow would benefit in fixing this issue?

I have searched the internet and have not really found a solution to this. Any advice I would appreciate.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:30 PM

iastor.sys is a hard drive controller driver and it's often targeted by rootkits.

Let's check something....

Please download Rootkit Unhooker from one of the following links and save it to your desktop.
Link 1 (.exe file)
Link 2 (zipped file)
Link 3 (.rar file)In order to use this tool if you downloaded from either of the second two links, you will need to extract the RKUnhookerLE.exe file using a program capable of extracing ZIP and RAR compressed files. If you don't have an extraction program, you can download, install and use the free 7-zip utility.

• Double-click on RKUnhookerLE.exe to start the program.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • Click the Report tab, then click Scan.
  • Check Drivers, Stealth, and uncheck the rest.
  • Click OK.
  • Wait until it's finished and then go to File > Save Report.
  • Save the report to your Desktop.
  • Copy and paste the contents of the report into your next reply.
-- Note: You may get this warning...just ignore it, click OK and continue: "Rootkit Unhooker has detected a parasite inside itself! It is recommended to remove parasite, okay?".

Edited by Broni, 05 July 2011 - 11:30 PM.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users