Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New PC not see Secondary IDE Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 perryja

perryja

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:28 PM

Placed my Old PC's IDE hard drive into the new computer using a IDE to SATA adapter. In the new PC the IDE HD has a Molex power plug and the Adapter has a power plug & a SATA wire going to the motherboard. The Old IDE HD does work in another PC with IDE plugs. I have the IDE plug on the Adapter centered on the pins on the Hard drive.

Do I need to set jumpers or software settings so the new PC can see the IDE HD?

The New HD does not have Jumpers.

How can I even verify that the adapter is working?

The Adapter is a BYTECC IDE to SATA or SATA to IDE Adaptor.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270236&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 perryja

perryja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:57 PM

Any suggestion with this issue. If not I may have to just sent the Adapter card back stating that its not working for a refund.

Heres some new details.

I've verified that all of the Molex plugs being used to provide power to the IDE to SATA card are working by plugging them each into a USB 3.0 adapter card that I have in the computer.The USB 3.0 card continues to work. So the IDE to SATA card should be getting power. But the Computer is not showing any signs of the IDE hard drive being installed.

I also double checked the hard drive by placing it back in the old computer and it continues to work there.

#3 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:07 PM

i'm not really nuts about those adapters. i have never used one, successfully or unsuccessfully. so i cant help any about that.

1. can you hear the hard drive spinning?
2. have you checked the bios thoroughly. make sure you document the settings before you change anything.

#4 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:30 PM

Is the second HDD jumpered to be a Slave? Look on it for the Jumper settings.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#5 perryja

perryja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:54 PM

Thanks ejames82 & Drovers Dog for your input. The Hard drive does work. I can verify this in an old PC. I have also set the Hard drive jumpers for Slave & Master an it has not made a difference. I also learned that I need to uninstall the devise (HD) from the old PC first before removing it.

But I may be on to something. The Hard Drive that I'm trying to install in the new computer is a ATA/133 HDD. I now notice that the BYTECC adapter I got(see link in original note) does not specify this.

Now looking at the Rosewill adapter as shown on Newegg it specifies ATA/133.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812206002&cm_re=ide_to_sata-_-12-206-002-_-Product
It also shows one of the holes being plugged. This matches the fact that there is one pin missing on the Hard Drive.

Can someone confirm that these two types of adapters are different?

#6 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:00 AM

i cant help you with your adapter issue. sorry.
since you're going from IDE to sata, i didn't know whether jumper settings would be necessary, but, by all means, try them if it's not working. what you are describing is quite complicated, so document what you've tried. i'm really big on recording on paper, cassette recorder, camcorder, or anything that works. you don't want to repeatedly try something that doesn't work that you've already tried, while mistakenly not trying something that you need to. it's also crucial that you try everything! even if it means trying everything twice or three times.
on the subject of jumper settings, don't forget cable select and other settings that the jumper goes on. as long as it's not working, why not try everything.
with so many ways that this can go, and possibly only one way that it will work, that's why you have to try everything. also, every where that something plugs into something else, there's the possibility that it could not be making good contact. two thirds of the time i have hard drive trouble, it's the cables plugged in that's the problem, and two thirds of that is the ribbon cable that's not making good contact.
i think that, when you have 'detection', you will see it in the 'bios' screen (i hope i got that right, if not, please correct me). it's the screen that comes up shortly after you push the power button and tells what is 'seen correctly' by the computer. in my experience, once the hard drive is listed there, the problems is solved. i'm pretty confident that when this happens to you, this will also be the case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users