Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i3-2100 onbord Intel HD 2000 graphics - screen freeze and flicker

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jamesgid

jamesgid

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:13 PM

I have a new computer that was built by someone else. Now it has errors and has ended up in my shop.

It has the following:
Gigabyte H67MA-D2H-B3 motherboard
Intel Core i3-21200 (sandy bridge) cpu
2x 2gb Corsair DDR3 CM3X2G1333C9 memory
WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 1Tb HDD
2x Sony Optiarc DVD RW AD-7240S

It has had heaps of issues, mainly random reboots, freezes, and the most prolific - the screen freeze/flicker that is in the picture I have linked to here:

http://postimage.org/image/1mhfls95w/

The motherboard has been replaced, which fixed some of the reboots, but the screen freeze/flicker pictured above is still occurring.

The only thing I have found is this link http://communities.intel.com/message/130595 where there is an apparent problem with the drivers for the onboard HD Graphics (Intel HD 2000).

It is now running on an Nvidia GeForce GT 220 1Gb (for testing purposes) and so far seems to be running ok.

So, to me, it seems as though there is some unresolved error with the Intel Core i3-2100 chip and it's on chip graphics (and associated software). I cannot find anyone else with my exact same problem, except for what the guys wrote on the intel forum. Wanted to post an image of the screen freeze because to me it seems quite unique. It generally happens at very random intervals. For instance, I was running the computer from about 10am yesterday and did not see the screen freeze until 7.43pm.... but today, it has happened at least 3 times, and it is not even 11am yet!!

I was running the latest video drivers from the gigabyte website (15.22.4.64.2418). I also tried the latest ones from intel (15.​22.​1.​64.​2361) but under both drivers they both caused the screen freeze.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jamesgid

jamesgid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:35 PM

With the new video card in, the PC is now locking up, but not showing the weird defects on the screen.

The eventvwr shows the VSS service stopping is the last log before the crash......??

#3 pcp

pcp

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:16 PM

bumb!

Nice im not the only one with this bleep.
Here is mine: http://ne.otokset.fi/kuvat/Romulaatikko/zikzak.jpg/_big.jpg

With other gpu (pci-e) it only freezes.

System:
Asus P8H61-M
Intel Core i3-2100
cmx8gx3m2a1600c9

Did you find what was wrong/broken?

Edited by pcp, 17 July 2011 - 12:26 PM.

#4 jamesgid

jamesgid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:34 PM

FIXED - Replaced Ram with different brand and all is fine. Used Kingston DDR3 1333, 2x2gb. Also swapped motherboard with different brand, but with old ram got same video defect. So definitely RAM this end.

**Note** The ram never tested faulty using memtest.

Hope it helps.

#5 jamesgid

jamesgid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:36 PM

bumb!

Nice im not the only one with this bleep.
Here is mine: http://ne.otokset.fi/kuvat/Romulaatikko/zikzak.jpg/_big.jpg

With other gpu (pci-e) it only freezes.

System:
Asus P8H61-M
Intel Core i3-2100
cmx8gx3m2a1600c9

Did you find what was wrong/broken?

We found the same. When we put in a PCI-E vid card, it would still freeze, but without funky video picture. As reported above, RAM replaced and no more probs.

Cheers.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:37 AM

FIXED - Replaced Ram with different brand and all is fine. Used Kingston DDR3 1333, 2x2gb. Also swapped motherboard with different brand, but with old ram got same video defect. So definitely RAM this end.

**Note** The ram never tested faulty using memtest.

Hope it helps.

I'll keep that solution in mind for my future Sandy Bridge builds.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 tyamada

tyamada

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:15 PM

I was having the same problem on a new Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 board with an i3-2105 processor. I had assumed that it was a video driver problem as well, but thanks to the input from this forum, I realized that it was a problem with the RAM that I was using. I was using OCZ DDR3 1600 RAM that is rated at 1.65V with 8-8-8-24 timing. The default RAM setup in BIOS was 1.5V and 7-7-7-16 timing. After adjusting the BIOS settings, I have not had a problem. Thanks for all the input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users