Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SLOW laptop, HP Vista 32 bit Home Premium, 4GigRam

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pat71896

pat71896

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:21 PM

There just has to be a solution to my problem.

I had 3 gig ram until about 4 weeks ago. I installed the 4th gig, the system shows it is installed and running, but the slow computer does not change - not even a small percentage.

I have a 'agreement' with HP to trouble shoot my pc and I have called them and worked with them ad nausea. They just run a Registry check, Clean Disk and my personal favorite - defrag. My defrag takes at least 3 hours. It is always 25% and up. I can run the MS defrag (without any info given) and it takes 3-4 hours. I run Defraggle and each time, I end up with a different number for the amount of disk space in use and percentage of fragmentation. Sometimes the frag shows 25% then after a 3 hour defrag, it is 40%.

Now Defraggle stops working after about 1% is defragged. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it 3 times. The quick defrag works but does not do anything.

I also have used CCleaner and do 'Drive Wipe.' I used the single, 3 and 35 wipes. No changes.

I have used Glary Utilities to scan and clean.

I know I have 3 users (the C:/Users - not the User Account) and would like to remove an old one. I would keep the 'guest' and my personal one. Could this be a problem/help??

How I wish I had a computer guru that I could really trust. I tried the kids at BestBuy - still very wet behind the ears and they lost my power cord. I tried Circuit City, no help, just money spent.

I am having difficulties with some software that previously worked. I have McAfee as my security. It is always up to date.

Input would be so appreciated. I cannot afford a new pc, this one is only 20 months old.

Discouraged but sincerely hoping someone can help, I am Pat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:45 PM

Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html

Louis

#3 pat71896

pat71896
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:12 PM

My Vista does not have the same options as shown so that you can backup the system files as well as files.

I did find the attachment.

??? Pat

#4 pat71896

pat71896
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:58 PM

I am trying to get a backup. I have used the back up included in my computer but it did not have an image creator.

I downloaded DriveImage XML per your recommendation. I have my auxiliary drive which is 250 gig. I tried to do a "raw" (include everything) backup. My pc hd says I have used 124 gig. After 8 hours of backup, it had no more room on my 250 gig backup drive.

I am trying to do a backup without the image and had the same problem with my auxiliary drive, no room even when I removed the previous backup attempt.

I am doing a backup to the C:\documents (as noted in the directions). After a full day of trying to just get a backup, I am feeling frustrated.

Thanks, I am no where near doing the prep for Using Malware Removal Tools. I feel like I am getting nowhere. Pat :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users