Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

remove network pc in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 aka KP

aka KP

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:33 PM

I have an unknown 3rd PC listed in my Network in Windows 7. I want to remove it. Right-clicking on it only gives me the options: "open in new window" and "Connect with remote desktop connection". I don't know how it got there: I just want to remove this device (PC). Can someone tell me how?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bjamrok

bjamrok

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:00 PM

If the computer is an unknown, you should be prepared for the fact that someone may have put their computer on your network. Need a little more info:

1) Is this your home network?
2) Do you have a wireless network? If so is it secured with a password?
3) Has anyone else recently used their computer on your network? Sometimes windows doesn't flush the old computers out right away.
4) Be aware that a wifi enabled phone, and some tv boxes (cable or uverse) have a home network presence, although they are usually easy to ID.
5) Is your computer connected via wireless or a cable?

In my opinion, you should immediately activate windows firewall if not already done. In case someone is on your network.
Sincerely,

Brian

"Thanks to all of you who contribute to open source projects and communities!"

http://jamroktech.blogspot.com

#3 aka KP

aka KP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:32 PM

(1) yes: my home network
(2) yes: wireless network Yes: secured with password (alpha-numeric-caps-lc)
(3) no one has recently used their computer on my network: just my hubby's and mine are on it: hardwired; also have (2) iPhones
(4) this id was not identifiable
(5) my PC and my husband's are hard-wired

Windows firewall is fully activated since day 1. The "extra" unknown PC has no folders and Window 7 says it is not on.

Not sure when it showed up: I don't check my network every day. It's known as NPI2CB52B whereas my and my hubby's PC's are know as Name-PC (very straight forward)

Just want it off my network and no blogs anywhere seem to have the answer. Thanks for responding: hopefully, the above will help you tell me how to delete it. Not queasy about editing registry, if necessary. KP

#4 bjamrok

bjamrok

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:34 PM

Does it show up on both computers?
Sincerely,

Brian

"Thanks to all of you who contribute to open source projects and communities!"

http://jamroktech.blogspot.com

#5 aka KP

aka KP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:45 AM

yes: it shows up on both computers.

#6 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:09 AM

Do you have any other devices plugged into the network? Printer or scanner etc? It could well be one of those showing up. Win7 will pick up a lot more devices and show them on the network than previous windows versions. If it's showing up, then it's an active device - you can't just delete it.

If you can check the properties of the device you may be able to get some useful info, maybe ip or mac address. If you can see the mac address you may at least be able to track down the manufacturer, it could even be something you have plugged in and forgotten about.

Edited by dirtdog900, 06 July 2011 - 07:11 AM.

#7 aka KP

aka KP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:40 AM

I have a printer (HP laserjet) on the network, connected to the router. The unknown device is showing up as a PC, not a printer. And I can't get any properties of the device: when I right-click the device in Windows Explorer, I only get the two options listed above:
"open in new window" and "Connect with remote desktop connection".

How do I get the properties of the device?
How do I get the ip or mac address of the device?

#8 aka KP

aka KP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:54 AM

when I try to "Connect with remote desktop connection": here is the error I get:Attached File  connect error unknown device.bmp   334.74KB   9 downloads

#9 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:05 AM

Can you try and ping this device? If you open up a command prompt and type in "ping NPI2CB52B". You may get a reply, depending on your network config, from an ip address.

You can access a command prompt from the start menu, all programs, accessories, command prompt.

Edited by dirtdog900, 06 July 2011 - 09:11 AM.

#10 aka KP

aka KP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:45 AM

pinged the "PC" and got:
Attached File  ping answer.jpg   64.59KB   15 downloads

so, it appears that the "PC" is actually my HP printer. Weird that Windows 7 shows it as a PC.
That's what concerned me: just got Windows 7 couple of weeks ago since my old desktop died, and didn't realize that Windows 7 would name the printer so cryptically and list it as a PC...

Thank you for your answers. Learned today what "ping" does and how it can help diagnose network devices.

#11 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:24 AM

They don't usually show as PC's on your local network, but that could be for any numerous reasons, nothing to worry about though. The cryptic name is just what the manufacturer (HP) uses for the interface names - which is why I suspected it was a printer to begin with, looks very familiar to a device name you find on HP jet direct network cards. You could change that name if you wanted but that's probably a job for another day!

#12 bagby

bagby

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

I have a similar issue.
You asked aka KP a remarkable number of questions without ever answering hers.

Let me ask the question again: how do I delete a computer from the network, irrespective of what it is or why I want to delete it?

It's really remarkable how difficult it is to find an answer to that seemingly simple question ...

#13 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

I have a similar issue.
You asked aka KP a remarkable number of questions without ever answering hers.

Let me ask the question again: how do I delete a computer from the network, irrespective of what it is or why I want to delete it?

It's really remarkable how difficult it is to find an answer to that seemingly simple question ...

The question was answered so I'm not quite sure what you mean? That was a printer on their network. If you have a computer or device etc showing on your network then you just can't delete it, irrespective or what it is or how simple you think it maybe. They show up for a reason, if you want help tracking down what it is then maybe you would like to provide some useful information rather than assuming that you can just randomly delete devices with no knowledge as to what they are.

Edited by dirtdog900, 13 April 2012 - 08:26 AM.

#14 LTDSGNR

LTDSGNR

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

I have a similar issue. I had a computer on the network that is no longer operational but it is still showing up on the list. How can I remove it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users