Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer reboots 60 seconds after startup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 originalsman

originalsman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:57 PM

I am running Windows XP and have been virus ridden for awhile. This forum has helped me get rid of the Windows Security and about 20 mutations of this virus. Now, when I boot the computer regularly, it will stay on for about 60-75 seconds, then it will try to reboot. I can reopen in safe mode, run Malwarebytes, and it will find between 5-16 attackers. I quarantine them, then remove them before restarting the computer. The computer will reboot, stay on for another 60-75 seconds, then shut off and try to reboot again. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Edited by hamluis, 05 July 2011 - 04:09 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:01 PM

Are you up to date with windows updates? You might possibly be reinfecting the pc once you reboot and are back online. The other option could be that Malwarebytes is not removing the infection for some reason. Is it the same infected files each time? Do you get a shutdown message appearing with a countdown?

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:07 PM

If you had that many viruses I strongly urge you to format and reinstall the OS. There are just too many unknowns after a major infection.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,391 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:09 PM

FWIW: If you have continuous malware problems...I'd say that something needs to change in how you handle your system.

I would start with a post in the Am I Infected forum (i will move this topic there).

Louis

#5 John Holmes

John Holmes

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:56 PM

Is system restore enabled? If it is, disable it. Reboot. Do a full system scan. Reboot. Enable system restore again. Reboot. You´re done.

#6 originalsman

originalsman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:35 PM

Is system restore enabled? If it is, disable it. Reboot. Do a full system scan. Reboot. Enable system restore again. Reboot. You´re done.

John, are you referring to a full scan with Malwarebytes? Or some other full scan? Alos, for the computer illeterate like myself, can you tell me how I can tell that system restore is enabled?

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users