Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Icons With Firefox

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SkyChief

SkyChief

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 05:13 AM

I am new to Firefox. How do I set a desktop icon link to a favorite webpage?
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bgardner

bgardner

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:41 AM

You go to the page that you want, then go to file, and then click Save As..... make sure desktop is selected for your save to locations.... then name the link and it will place an HTML link on your desktop..... however, if Firefox is not your default browser it will make a link for whatever your default it

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:33 AM

If you have many linked pages, why not simply keep the clutter off your desktop and use FF's bookmarks? These can be easily edited and put into bookmark subfolders. You can even group a set of bookmarks to open tabbed together.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 SkyChief

SkyChief
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 03:08 PM

to: bgarder
thanks for your help. But I have one problem using your method.....when I use it, I get TWO icons on my desktop. For example, say I want an icon/link to a website about "pea soup". With your method, I DO get that link/icon to that webpage but I also get another icon that says "pea soup_files" Of course I only want the one icon and if I try to delete the other off the desktop, both icons will be deleted. With Internet Explorer, setting up a DESKTOP icon/link was just a right click on the mouse but with Firefox I see no "create a shortcut" with a right click and using the "file" dropdown method causes those TWO icons to appear on the desktop. Is there some way to move or hide the "pea soup_files" link but KEEP the "pea soup" webpage link/icon on my DESKTOP?? Thanks again. SkyChief

#5 SkyChief

SkyChief
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 03:13 PM

to jgweed:
I understand about the bookmarks but I NEED an icon, one icon, on my desktop. Can you help me? (see my post to bgarder) THANKS. SkyChief

#6 SkyChief

SkyChief
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 03:27 PM

to bgarder (SECOND reply):
OK, I DID IT! The first time I did not do "HTML only". Now only one icon appears. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP. Skychief

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users