Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

experienced anti-virus program recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 omoorea

omoorea

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:12 PM

Hello all,

After spending full 4 days and about 5 separate anti virus programs to rid my work PC of a google-redirect virus,I am fed-up. I want to just buy ONE realtime program that will secure my PC WHILE I am browsing online without slowing down my browsing sessions too badly. With the 4 days productivity shot I could almost justify buying a Mac, but my company sells a Windows-based software package, so I am hesitant about totally chunking the PC altogether.

It seems that I end up using Malwarebytes about twice a month on my various computers, so I was going to just buy the full version of that, but lately that will only complete Full scans when I boot into safe mode for some reason. I have used Norton in the past with lackluster results. MS Security Essentials and AVG seem to be worthless against catching the "windows 7 Antivirus 2011" style viruses that I always seem to get.

Any recommendations? I am not expecting perfection on this, but there has to be SOMETHING out there better than all the stuff I usually use.

Thanks,
Omoorea

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:09 PM

There is no BEST option - as you correctly surmise, everyone has his or her own opinion. Several years ago I standardized all of my systems with Kaspersky Anti Virus and I couldn't be happier. Needless to say, if you don't practice "smart computing" it doesn't much matter which AV you use - you'll be able to infect your system somehow :)

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:45 PM

Google redirect virus is probably TDSS rootkit. You should use Kaspersky TDSSKiller tool. Everything is useless until you remove the TDSS rootkit.
You should also consult BC Malware Removal team in the Am I Infected section for much better advice and help.

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208283363

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users