Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Black Screen with Cursor - Nothing seems to work!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gwydion Black

Gwydion Black

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:19 PM

Well here is the deal. I have a laptop that came into my shop last week, an HP G62 with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. The user needed immediate file recovery which was done without a problem, and then I went to town on fixing the issue.

The customer reported a "memory error" popping up before they shut the computer down. Upon restart, Windows would only load to a black screen with the mouse cursor. I've encountered this in the past and through various methods, such as CTRL+ALT+DEL or Startup Repair, but this one has eluded me for some time.

No matter what I do, I can not get anything to launch on this computer. Windows from the hard drive, Windows from the install CD, built in Startup Repair, and Windows in every single startup mode all returns a black screen with the cursor. No shortcut keys seem to do anything.

I have also connected it to an external monitor to see if that was an issue, and it wasn't. I have tried UBCD to no avail, it just doesn't start. I have tried BartPE with a Window XP Pro install and received a blue screen.

I have connected the hard drive as an external and run virus and malware scans with no issues found. I have tried to run CHKDSK, but the drive hangs about halfway through. The files, however, are all accessible and able to be moved/removed, but it does not allow me to change permissions. I have heard about this being a permission error, but I have had no luck in that department.

The cd-rom drive works as I have just tried Paragon Partition Manager to use the boot corrector, however, it seems to be to no avail either.

MemTest turned up no errors. Just to be sure I ran it with each memory stick going solo, same results.

I am at a loss for what to do or what the error could be that has caused this suddenly. Any further ideas will help greatly.

-Gwydion

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gwydion Black

Gwydion Black
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:01 PM

Just an update:

Tried loading from an original Windows XP Pro disk, got a blue screen at device loading - same as BartPE. 0x0000007B - same one each time.

Also tried loading from a Vista install disk. Went through the normal loading procedures, but gets to a black screen and hangs, no cursor, no activity from the CD. - UPDATE:: Vista setup finally loaded the cursor. That about does it with that.

In fact, it seems to refuse to load any Windows based environment. Any non-Windows based GUIs seem to load and function fine. I will try a few more things today, but hopefully I can get some input on the issue.

Edited by Gwydion Black, 05 July 2011 - 03:09 PM.

#3 Gwydion Black

Gwydion Black
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:21 PM

And at last my final update for today.

I decided to try to boot the Win 7 DVD without the hard drive installed. Lo and behold, setup started this time with no issues.

So now I have to figure out if it is the drive itself or just the install that is screwing it up. I'll do that first thing tomorrow but until then, if anyone has any insight, do tell.

#4 rvicencio

rvicencio

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:09 AM

Hi Dude, how are you?

Im from Brazil, We are facing the same problem that you, in our computer network with have Dell Computers, Lenovo Computers and Hp Computers.
Weve checked the virus-definitions, and a lot of other things, but We cant find anything. Seems that another people in Brazil are facing the same problem.
Do you have any news?

Thank You.

Lincoln.

#5 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:36 AM

Very strange! Have you tried the same laptop with a different hard disk? You could also try with the original disk but with only one stick of ram at a time - see if that makes any difference to the windows install. I think you either have a problem with the HD or the laptop itself. The only thing you can really do with these sorts of problems is troubleshoot one component at a time. Try the above though, I suspect a HD fault as the windows setup starts without the drive in...Bit of a long short but maybe reset the bios to factory defaults and check the HP site for any bios updates you can run.

#6 Thoy

Thoy

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:43 PM

I have the same issue. A friend was updating avg and after reboot, black screen with cursor and nothing else will work. Same as your symptoms. I found this link but i'm stuck after booting with burn image cd. See if you can try to fix your problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic405525.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users