Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 swood91

swood91

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:06 PM

My old laptop running Windows Vista has just died after downloading a virus some time ago. I had tried hard to get rid of it, but to no use. Just yesterday it completely died, i turned it on put in my password and was confronted by a plain white screen. I checked my processes and almost all of them have been closed. Turned it off and on again and it came up with some weird error, proceded to the login page where the virus had done something to my log in details because it asked me to type the account name and password. I did that an it wouldn't let me in.

Does anyone know how i can get all the data from my laptop off the hard drive. It was a 120GB hard drive and i have a 250GB external hard drive that i can transfer too. I really need some of the data on the hard drive so if i could get some help asap please. Luckily i bought a new laptop a couple days before which is runninng Windows 7. I don't want to have to rar or zip all the data to transfer it all as i only need certain data and don't want to infect my external hard drive and in turn my new laptop

Thank you so much in advance
swood

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:13 PM

As your aware, transferring your files over to a an external drive or another machine runs the risk of infected said drive or machine.

I would recommend cleaning up the infection on your problem computer first.
If you do not mind, ill ask a few questions.

What malware removal tools have you ran?
When did you first notice signs of a problem?
Have you ran any removal tools in "Safe Mode" or know how?

Edited by Neil B., 05 July 2011 - 01:16 PM.

#3 swood91

swood91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:32 PM

Thank you for your reply.
There is one file i need asap, its a back up of my forum. The rest of the data i don't mind waiting in order to get rid of the infectio

I honeslty can't remember which ones i used. I used about 2 or 3 different programs to remove it, but nothing worked.
I first started noticing problems about, i'd say 3 weeks ago to be safe.
No i haven't and no i don't really know how

Thanks a lot
swood

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:50 PM

There is one file i need asap

Create a live Linux CD or flashdrive: Boot to the live CD or flashdrive and copy your file to a flashdrive or USB external drive.

Using a working computer:
  • If you wish to use a LIVE CD ...
  • Download the Linux version of your choice (usually an .ISO image file).
  • There are many options to use for a LIVE CD. I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (download file size 128 MB)
  • Ubuntu (download file size almost 700 MB)
[*]Burn the .ISO image to CD: If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
  • Download and install ImgBurn.
  • Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
  • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
  • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image
  • When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

[*]OR ... if you wish to use a flashdrive ...
  • Go to UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads and at the top of the page, click on Download (for Windows) to download the application.
  • Follow the instructions further down the page under the heading Installation & Screenshots.
  • Run the application to download and install the Linux version of choice to your flashdrive.
  • I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (download file size 128 MB)
  • Ubuntu (download file size almost 700 MB).
[/list][/list]Boot the problematic machine from the LIVE CD or flashdrive.
  • (You may have to configure the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu to boot first from the optical/CD drive or the flashdrive, which ever you are using.)
  • Choose to run the Linux operating system from the CD or flashdrive without making any changes to your computer.
    Do NOT install Linux on your hard drive.
  • When the Linux operating system loads ...
  • You will be able to navigate to all the files on your HDD.
  • You can backup your files by copying them to a flashdrive or an external hard drive.
  • Before using the internet (if you choose to use Puppy, for example) you may have to:
  • Configure/set up the internet connection
  • Download a favourite browser
    (With Ubuntu the foregoing should not be necessary.)
[/list]
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 swood91

swood91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:56 PM

I'm heading to bed now as i've got work tomorrow but are you sure that will work AustrAlien. My infected laptop is password protected (or was until the virus screwed the log in system up). So if i boot up using a Linux CD i can bypass it and gain access to my my hard drive files?

Thanks
swood

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:20 PM

Yes, it will work successfully: No problem!

Edit: By "password protected", I am assuming that you mean you need a password to log on to the Windows operating system, and nothing more than that.

Edited by AustrAlien, 05 July 2011 - 06:26 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 swood91

swood91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:15 PM

Yes, it will work successfully: No problem!

Edit: By "password protected", I am assuming that you mean you need a password to log on to the Windows operating system, and nothing more than that.

Yes just a password to login.
I still need help removing the virus and getting the rest of the data of my old laptop, if anyone can help with that please

Thanks
swood

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:05 PM

I still need help removing the virus and getting the rest of the data off my old laptop

There is no guarantee that virus removal will be successful, so it is always wise to retrieve (backup) all your personal data to an external drive, whether you intend to attempt virus removal and reviving your existing Windows system, or simply performing a clean installation of Windows.

Please see the post by quietman7 post #2 that explains what you should and should not copy to your external drive.

When you have completed backing up all your personal data, I will assist you with the next step if you wish, whether it be the virus removal or wiping the existing partition and re-installing Windows.

Edited by AustrAlien, 06 July 2011 - 07:07 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 swood91

swood91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:26 PM

Thank you very much AustrAlien. I will work on backing up the data i need and then i will get back to you on removing it.

Thanks again
swood

#10 swood91

swood91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:56 PM

Boot the problematic machine from the LIVE CD or flashdrive.

• (You may have to configure the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu to boot first from the optical/CD drive or the flashdrive, which ever you are using.)
  • Choose to run the Linux operating system from the CD or flashdrive without making any changes to your computer.
    Do NOT install Linux on your hard drive.
[list]
[*]When the Linux operating system loads ...
[list]
[*]You will be able to navigate to all the files on your HDD.
[*]You can backup your files by copying them to a flashdrive or an external hard drive.

Sorry to bump this thread. I've made a puppy linux boot up CD. So i only boot up using the CD and use a hard drive or pen drive to transfer files over, or can i use the CD itself? I know i shouldn't transfer .exe files but i really need all my FireFox data so all that will have to be transferred over. Apart from that i only really need some notepad files on my desktop and i think that's about it.

Thanks
swood

Edited by swood91, 25 July 2011 - 02:56 PM.

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:03 PM

You said: "I've made a puppy linux boot up CD. So i only boot up using the CD and use a hard drive or pen drive to transfer files over, or can i use the CD itself?"
Yes, only boot with the Puppy CD ... and then retrieve your data to another medium.

One of the advantages of Puppy is that it loads entirely into memory, so that you can remove the Puppy CD once the Puppy operating system is fully loaded. You may then burn data to a CD/DVD if you wish (but you should not attempt to burn data to the Puppy CD).

There is no problem with using a flashdrive or external hard drive to backup your data ... but you do have the option of using CD/DVDs also.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#12 swood91

swood91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:03 PM

Ah brilliant, i'll give this a go over the weekend. Can't wait to get my modded FireFox back :). Thanks a lot for all your help!

swood

#13 swood91

swood91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:02 AM

Hi. I've loaded up my laptop and have access to all my files. I inserted a new CD to transfer some of the files over, but don't know how to access the CD. Can someone help asap please.

Thanks
swood

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:59 PM

I've loaded up my laptop and have access to all my files

You have booted successfully from the Puppy CD ... I assume.

To burn data from your hard drive (Windows drive) to a CD/DVD:
  • Click on the icon labeled sda1 on the Puppy Desktop (I am presuming that sda1 will be the Windows system partition on your hard drive) to mount the partition in Puppy.
    (You will notice that the sda1 icon on the Desktop now has a big green dot on it to show that it is mounted.)
  • Now, click on (bottom-left corner of the Desktop) Start > Multimedia > Pburn CD/DVD/Blu-ray writer to open Pburn.
  • Remove the Puppy CD and replace it with a new blank writable CD or DVD.
  • On the left side of the Pburn window, part way down, you will see "Add data from here... (mouse-click-right)".
  • Immediately under that, on the left side, you will see a small button with two dots on it (the "browse" button): Click on it, and choose Filesystem.
    • Now, in the left window pane of Pburn, double-click on mnt to open a list of devices.
    • In the list now showing, you should see your hard drive partition, sda1: Double-click on sda1 to open it.
    • You should now see a familiar list .... the contents of your Windows drive.
    • Continue to navigate to the location of the file (or files) that you wish to burn to disk.
    • Right-click on a file and it will be added to the right pane of Pburn (this will contain the list of files that you wish to add to the CD).
  • To begin navigating to another location, go back to the browse button > Filesystem.
  • When all data that you wish to add to the disk is listed in the right pane of Pburn, click on the "flaming disk" icon on the upper-right side of the Pburn window.
    • In the burning options window, choose to change any options if you wish (or not), and then click on the "flaming disk" icon to start burning the data to disk.
When it is finished, I suggest that you choose to Verify burn, to check that the data on the disk exactly matches the original data.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users