Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Storage issues following total opration system restore?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jbeyel

jbeyel

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:44 PM

Ok, did a total operation syetem restore and am now trying to re-install all my games etc. However, I am getting a "not enough storage to complete the operation" message. I do know when i did the restore that the "C" drive had little MB in it but the tutorial told me to use that as my main platform...ugh...How can I shoft storage around so I can install my cd games as well as a few download games?

HP Pavilion dv5000 laptop
windows xp

thanks

J

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:01 PM

EXACTLY how did you do a "total operation system restore"? And Why?

#3 jbeyel

jbeyel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:06 PM

I had gotten a bad virus and was on the site requesting help but I elected for operation restore to clean it all up anyways...i used the PC Operation Restroe disc and followed directions off a help site. However,, I think I may have allotted too little space to the C drive when i did it..

#4 jbeyel

jbeyel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:43 PM

I need a solution to this problem...I think I can go into control panel and then to system and then to advanced and add storage or take away storage from various drives...However, I would prefer taking away storage and redistributing it to my C drive??? I do not, though, wish to experiment with this stuff unless I am directed to do so..

thanks again

j

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:46 PM

I'm sorry, but I still don't know what you did or how you did it. Until you explain that clearly it's difficult for me to offer advice.

#6 jbeyel

jbeyel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:24 PM

I took the operation restore disc that came with the PC and performed a total restore. This wiped out all of my files etc. and brought PC back clean. During the process, though, I was asked to allot space to the C drive and I did but it was not, so it seems, enough. Once i got my PC back, I began to try to reinstall stuff I had lost during the operation restore such as my Action PC and Stra-o-Matic baseball games and that is when i immediately got the message "not enough storage to complete the operation" message. does thyis help you at all? i am not sure what else to say at this point since it was a total restore...It was NOT a return to a point in time or anything like that but, rather a complete system restore where you wipe out virtually everything...

So, my main concern is how do i , now, get enough storage space to my C drive so i can load in games etc. via email or CD?

Edited by jbeyel, 05 July 2011 - 02:29 PM.

#7 bjamrok

bjamrok

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:56 PM

Normally you would allow windows installer to automatically partition the hard drive which uses the entire capacity of the drive for C:\. If you selected a number less than that you essentially only partitioned and formatted part of your hard drive to use for windows. You have three options that I know of. 1) reinstall again and make the partition as big as it can be. 2) use a partition tool to add another partition using the remaining space it would probably become D:\ Then you can install programs there. You will have to format the d:\ partition after you make it. 3) and my least favorite is use a partition tool to resize the c:\ partition to make it bigger.
Sincerely,

Brian

"Thanks to all of you who contribute to open source projects and communities!"

http://jamroktech.blogspot.com

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:06 PM

I took the operation restore disc that came with the PC and performed a total restore. This wiped out all of my files etc. and brought PC back clean. During the process, though, I was asked to allot space to the C drive and I did but it was not, so it seems, enough. Once i got my PC back, I began to try to reinstall stuff I had lost during the operation restore such as my Action PC and Stra-o-Matic baseball games and that is when i immediately got the message "not enough storage to complete the operation" message. does thyis help you at all? i am not sure what else to say at this point since it was a total restore...It was NOT a return to a point in time or anything like that but, rather a complete system restore where you wipe out virtually everything...

So, my main concern is how do i , now, get enough storage space to my C drive so i can load in games etc. via email or CD?

Okay, that's helpful. It is unusual for a restore disc to repartition, but okay. I suggest you use Easeus Partition Master to resize the partitions (http://www.partition-tool.com/) unless you want to start from scratch and reinstall from the beginning.

#9 jbeyel

jbeyel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:07 PM

oh God no! i cannot restore again as that would set me way back all over again and I just cannot do that at the moment...i will try your idea and see what happens and advise ya...

thanks

J

#10 jbeyel

jbeyel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:48 PM

Ok, downlaoded the partitioner so my PC storage looks like this according to the function:

E: NTFS Capacity 7.81MB 2.75 MB used System primary
D: NTFS Capacity 48.83 GB 7.96Gb used system primary
C: NTFS Capacity 24.68GB 1.75Gb used Boot primary

*: NTFS Capacity 1.00GB 586.93GB used None primary

I tried to extract a file from a zipped folder into the C drive program folder and got same message so i am confused now...

Do I need to download any readers like adobe or anything like microsoft excel to do this???

thanks again

J

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:50 PM

You made d: drive your system partition? Why?

#12 jbeyel

jbeyel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:08 PM

To be honest with ya, i have no clue! Do not recall actually delegating it as such...

#13 jbeyel

jbeyel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:11 PM

I may have confused you...

each partition has a status and type allocated to it..

Status for each drive
E:-system
D: None
C: Boot*: None

Type
E: Primary
D: Logical
C: Primary
*: Primary

does this help?

J

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:15 PM

I've got to be honest with you - I'm very confused. If I'm reading the data in your post correctly, Easeus is showing that both D: and E: are system partitions while c: only contains the boot files. That means that both D: and E: have an OS installed on them while c: does not.

Please open Windows Explorer and see where the Windows folders are (please check each partition to see if there are multiple Windows folders).

#15 jbeyel

jbeyel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:31 PM

Not positive what you want me to do or how to do it...however, I was able to get to my computer managemnt sector...this sector does have a region named "storage" and a sub title called "disk management"...in here I am seeing the approximate same data I got off the program I used earlier...I cannot see or locate multiple folders. however, I do recall asking about something that bothered me during my restore...when i rebooted or tried to restore, I saw several windows xp things i could choose and it said that it would choose the top one in certain period of time if i let it..which I did. I was very worried about that as i felt that that should not be there but maybe this is a problem now?

am I looking in the correct area for the info you r requesting?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users