Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Friend's PC revisited

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:32 AM

I'm trying to post quickly hoping to get a response sooner. A while back I spent quite a while trying to figure out my friend's computer. I believe it's a hardware problem but never did figure out what. You can look at my posts to read about it if you're interested... I ruled out ram and hd issues, as far as I know.
I did a lot to make it run better and, it didn't run better. not a bit.
But, it ran.

It finally stopped working... it will not boot all the way. The following is a partial error that I got, though it think he got a different message before, I'm not sure.

isatap 881779EB-88D4-40E5-8CF8-1C4C3B052B93
microsoft 6 to 4 adapter #5

I think that's all I copied down the last time I was there. I have it on a post it... along with "7 usb root hubs" but I'm not sure what that's there for. oops.

So, at the moment it wont boot. He called radio shack, and it looks like he may be taking it there soon. Whoever he talked to thought it was a corrupt file but, I don't know where they got that idea. I scanned the HD with several things, including the manufacturers software for scanning their HDs.
I still say mechanical...

My question is... with the little info I have today, do you see anything that points to a hardware issue that would have caused lag and/or sound issues in the past? That's sort of what was going on for a long time.
Radio Shack said $45 to look at it I believe. I'd hate for him to pay them to replace a part which is why I was hoping I could figure out what it was so we could get the part and do it ourselves. But, I just don't have a clue as to what it is.
He has a laptop and he'd just abandon the desktop except, the wmp on the xp desktop works better for him than the wmp he has on his vista laptop. Issues with saving and such which I asked about in other posts, and never got any answers to. Anyway... any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:58 PM

Desktop or laptop?

How far into the boot process does it get?

Have you made any recent changes to the system (either hardware or software) before your problem started occurring?

#3 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:34 PM

it's a desktop...
Gateway 564GE 3.2Ghz 1Gb DDR Windows XP, currently SP3 200gb HD with LOTS of free space Avast free, fully updated
You can read more about the issues it faces here -> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic381696.html/page__p__2148638__fromsearch__1#entry2148638
LONG discussion that solved nothing unfortunately.
I gave up on it... basically, he decided to just deal with the issues until it broke down and then he'd either junk it or have it fixed. I guess he's still wanting it.

I'm not sure exactly how far it gets into the boot process, but it's not terribly far. doesn't make it to the login screen.
no changes before it stopped loading... Just a consistent problem that we were waiting for it to get worse...
I'd rather him not take it to radio shack but, hopefully if he does they'll spend some time looking at the hardware. I looked at the little I could and never found a solution.
I was hoping the new info, the problem with it not booting and the error, might shed some new light on it.
So far, I'm not finding anything useful...

#4 mech55

mech55

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:37 PM

You might want to check the power suppy. you can get norton removel tool on there wed sight as well as AVG from theres to get all the left overs from there installs

#5 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:32 PM

Does it get to the windows loading screen? Does it reboot after that? Bluescreen?

I need to know exactly when, during the boot process, that it fails and in what way...

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:01 AM

If this is indeed your error message: isatap 881779EB-88D4-40E5-8CF8-1C4C3B052B93, it is related to a network adapter that is installed on the computer system.

The numbers you posted may not be 100% correct, but the ISATAP is related to the following:
ISATAP (Intra-Site Automatic Tunnel Addressing Protocol) is an IPv6 transition mechanism meant to transmit IPv6 packets between dual-stack nodes on top of an IPv4 network.
Unlike 6over4 (an older similar protocol using IPv4 multicast), ISATAP uses IPv4 as a virtual nonbroadcast multiple-access network (NBMA) data link layer, so that it does not require the underlying IPv4 network infrastructure to support multicast.

Info is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISATAP

Try removing any add-on adapters in the system that are related to the Internet connection and try booting up the computer again, if the computer boots successfully, you've located a piece of hardware with either a mechanical defect or device to which a bad or buggy driver is installed.

If the system continues to fail to boot, please watch the screen carefully during the boot process, take note of which system file loads before the system halts the booting process.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 06 July 2011 - 12:02 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:06 PM

Try removing any add-on adapters in the system that are related to the Internet connection and try booting up the computer again

Anything internet related on that computer right now is on the motherboard. The motherboard being something I've wondered about... who knows.
As far as disabling anything through windows, I couldn't do that unless I could get in. I didn't get a chance to see if I could boot in safe mode. I'm not sure if even went that far.

At the moment, it doesn't matter. Radio Shack has it.
Regardless of what caused the isatap error message, it was a sick computer for a long time.

#8 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:18 AM

I wasn't sure with how many things you guys read every day, how many of you remember this or the initial topic for my friends computer...
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic381696.html/page__p__2148638__fromsearch__1#entry2148638

Radio shack told him it was the hard drive. They replaced it, copied all his files for him... and, the computer works like it should now.
So... good news, it works... no more weird sound issues...
I'm happy about this for him but, I ran SO many tests and stuff for him, including something by the HD manufacturer to check for errors... and, I never found anything that pointed to the HD.
computers...

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,387 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:29 PM

Well...it may have been the partition structure or the file system used on the partition....those situations would not show up in any hard drive diagnostic.

In fact, you sometime to heve to impute them, based on all the other known diagnostics that can be used to assess the hard drive itself.

In any case, resolution is good, happy computing :).

Louis

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:06 PM

If this computer is the same computer that your friend who is vision impaired was using, I believe we mentioned that the hard drive was creating the problems you were experiencing.

We did understand that your concerns were that he did not want to start over with a possible new install on another hard drive.

If we went in that direction, we would have suggested a new hard drive and the use of a disk cloning program.

Glad the problem was resolved, but I would like to have resolved it minus the fees paid to Radio Shack.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#11 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:18 PM

nobody ever said the words "the hard drive is the problem". I went back and checked.
It was mentioned that it would be worth trying a fresh install.
I would have tried another hard drive in there just to test it out but at the time had no compatible hard drives for that tower. All my old stuff was IDE and his is SATA. And, it was only mentioned that it would be worth trying a new install or something, and never directly stated that it was the hard drive..... I had mentioned, there was no way he would want to throw money at a hard drive just to find out IF that was the problem.
I agree though... I'm happy it's all working for him now... but, wish I could have resolved it for him. Oh well. That's how it goes sometimes.

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:59 PM

nobody ever said the words "the hard drive is the problem". I went back and checked.
It was mentioned that it would be worth trying a fresh install.

Sorry about that, but that part was mentioned in a personal message between you and I and was never published in the forums, so that is why it is not there.
Since I have cleaned out my personal messages since then, I no longer have a copy of it.
Either way, the problem was resolved and that is still good news, I just wished you were the one who ended up solving the problem for your friend.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users