Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

want to make startup item persistent

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mfrank@

mfrank@

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:19 AM

howdy - I want to make a startup item persistent, specifically an RDP connection. I've added the item to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\load. It starts as desired but I'd like to make it persistent so if it gets disconnected or cancelled it will reload automatically. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:28 AM

That sounds like it would be a security issue, and how many licenses are on the server you are RDPing to?

#3 mfrank@

mfrank@
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:37 AM

hmmm, not sure how it would be a security issue - the RDP connection starts on boot as desired but if no connection is made it doesn't keep trying to connect. I'm hoping to find a way to make it try again. With thin clients there is usually an option that makes a configured connection persistent, if the connection drops or doesn't connect on the first try it keeps trying until it does. I want to make an RDP connection on an XP PC do the same thing.

We do have adequate licenses on the terminal server.

Thanks for your response and any further thoughts.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:52 AM

Imagine this, the RDP Connection starts automatically, connects, and someone is in the office they can have access to the system and the RDP session.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users