Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean Install, No Disks

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 molotovh

molotovh

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:27 PM

What if you *haven't* got the boot disk?

I am looking at the possibility of doing this to my Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop - which came with Windows XP installed - for the exact same reason. I'm not sure I even received a Windows XP boot disk from Dell, and even if I did, it's been 4 years and two moves ago, so darned if I have any clue where it might be. Is there any way to do a re-install of Windows XP without the original disk?

Edited by hamluis, 05 July 2011 - 08:30 AM.
Split, sent PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:30 AM

What does Dell say your options are?

i believe that system has a restore-to-factory-defaults mechanism...which is your alternative to reinstalling Windows.

Louis

#3 molotovh

molotovh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:53 AM

For reference: the issue I am having is browser redirects from an otherwise repaired malware infection; Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D, and MS Security Essentials all come up clean. It has been suggested to me that the "quick fix" is to reinstall the OS and be done with it.

I've tried to Restore to Factory Defaults; the problem is persists. I haven't talked to Dell Customer Support yet. I'm not sure they'll give me much help since the laptop is 4 years old, but I'll give them a call tonight and post back what they tell me.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:45 AM

IMO...a failure by the restore mechanizm to erase the problem...would tend to make me think that it's rooted possibly in hardware. Reinstalls do not overcome such.

Louis

#5 molotovh

molotovh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:49 PM

So I contacted Dell Support, who - as expected - did notoffer much support, other than offering to sell me a hard copy of XP keyed to my computer - you know, the program license that I supposedly already bought and paid for - for $31. However, I did get one piece of useful advice.

It seems that the Restore to Factory Defaults that I used was just the BIOS settings; the secret "wipe your computer and re-install Windows" combo is Ctrl+F11 while the Dell logo is displayed during the boot-up. This launches a program called Symantec Ghost. I ran this, re-installed all my anti-virus stuff, and now the redirect issue is fixed!

Hooray. Now to try to fix the original problem that resulted in me getting the malware in the first place... but that is a task for another post and another day.

hamluis, thanks for the idea... I never would have asked Dell about the Restore mechanism if not for your suggestion!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:24 AM

Glad you obtained some useful info, happy computing :).

Louis

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:45 AM

Now that you have your system reloaded, check to see if there is an option somewhere in the Dell programs to make recovery disks. If there is, please do so and use DVD's not cd's.

This could save you down the road if you ever need to replace your hard drive.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users