Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unable to create virtual hard drive

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Gdirect

Gdirect

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:01 AM

I am trying to create a virtual copy of my 120GB XP Home hard drive.
I have 2 applications that should do that, but both fail in seemingly different ways.

1) Sysinternals Disk2vhd
I can browse to my usb external hard drive, but the list of volumes to include is empty.
I cannot see or select a drive to copy.

2) Paragon Go Virtual
I can select the drive to copy and browse to my usb hard drive with no problem.
The copy process starts, but then fails with the error volume exclusive access is required to complete the operation.

Both of these applications are supposed to use vss, and the vss service is running in task manager.

Can someone suggest what the problem might be, or how I can bypass these obstacles and create a virtual hard drive for use in Virtual PC?

Thanks,
G

Edited by hamluis, 05 July 2011 - 08:35 AM.
Moved from XP to All Other Applications.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users