Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what consitutes "long"

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tuckeroo

tuckeroo

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:01 AM

i was reading an article passed along to me by a tech and in the one i have a question about it said not to turn off your pc unless it will be for long periods of time. my question is what consitutes a "long period of time"?hours, days?...thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:08 PM

This is a debate that will go on forever, argued both ways.

My philosopy is if you arent using it turn it off, especially overnight.
The system does need to be rebooted every once in a while.

Of course, I am old school. Mom always used to chide us "when you leave the room turn off the lights" and that kind of stuff.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 tuckeroo

tuckeroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:03 PM

lol...okay, thanks...i too am a "turn off the lights" type :]

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:22 PM

My computer at home gets shut down every night when I go to bed. My computer at work gets left on 24/7 (scheduled reboot and malware scan every Sunday evening.)

Neither one shows ill effects from either treatment.

You can always go for the middle ground of suspend/hibernate.

#5 tuckeroo

tuckeroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:59 PM

lol..mine is the opposite...work gets turned off every day and home gets left on...thanks for the input :]

#6 John Holmes

John Holmes

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:28 PM

Keep in mind that any electrical appliance can fail after a power off/power on sequence. I keep my systems powered ON 24/7 and do an occasional (warm) reboot if required after a system update.

HTH

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:35 PM

There is no right or wrong. I know many very knowledgeable systems folks who leave their system on 24/7 and others who shut down every night (personally, I do the latter).

The two schools of thought are: every time you turn on the system you expose the electronic components to the "shock" of startup. The other side says leaving the system on all the time causes the hd and potentially other components to wear out more quickly. Truth be told, there's a LITTLE truth to both theories - but not enough to make a difference. Do whatever makes you happy and in the end, that's the right thing to do.

Edited by Allan, 06 July 2011 - 05:35 PM.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:41 PM

I turn mine off every night. My theory on it is this-If there is power running through the circuits, its causing wear and tear, which shortens the length of its life-you wouldnt leave your car running 24/7 would you, why would you leave your computer running. The original theory behind leaving it on all the time is older computers had thinner wires-the sudden voltage from being turned on could cause them to fry (that was the theory anyway) Modern computers have far better, thicker circuits which would eliminate any such issue. On top of that, there are certain things like updates that require the computer to be restarted etc. Now that being said, I know several people-my brother included who leaves theres on 24/7 and has no issues at all. Fact of the matter is, components are made far better then they used to be, and I dont really think it will kill a computer to do it either way-especially since most people (myself included) upgrade their computers at least every 2 years.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#9 tuckeroo

tuckeroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:36 AM

i thank everyone for their input...as far as the car analogy goes(and i say this respectfully)your car actually would like to be run 24/7...it is the starting and stopping that wears it out. however, that of course just isn't practical. i do appreciate your input(as well as everyone elses)as i am NOT a computer literate type but am trying to learn the best i can :]

Edited by tuckeroo, 07 July 2011 - 07:43 AM.

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:49 PM

ewh not really, especially with automatic transmissions, leave a car with a auto on 24/7 and chances are youll burn your tranny out prematurly. As far as the engine, in many cases as long as your cooling system (fans water pump etc) is running right you probably wont hurt the motor. . . then again all it takes is a radiator hose bursting when your sleeping at night and youll wake up to a seized engine . . .law of entropy requires that all things break down over time, and the more theyre used the faster they will break down. That being said like I said in previous post, with modern components, I doubt the life expectency between a computer that is left on 24/7 and one that is shut down a lot is minimal these days.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:32 PM

I would just add that the Monitor consumes 75% of the energy used. So it should be off if the PC is not being used.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users