Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hangs on reboot but boots fine if turned off and back on

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jalpert

jalpert

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:49 AM

Anytime I do a reboot the system hangs with a black screen right before the Windows XP splash screen. No blinking curser on the screen and no hard drive activity but all of the other lights on the computer are on. I can turn the computer off and back on and it boots up fine. It doesn't even hesitate at the point where it hangs during a reboot.

I recently had to visit the Am I infected? What do I do? forum to get rid of a google redirect problem but this was happening before that. It is just starting to irritate me because I went through the process of updating everything and I can't just do a reboot during the updates anymore.

I downloaded the hard drive diagnostics check from western digital and the drive checks out fine. I'm not familiar with any of the utilities mentioned in the pinned posts so I'm afraid to run them without help and specific directions.

Operating system is Windows XP Professional (64-bit) Service Pack 2.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jo Ann

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:26 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Black screen on boot (no cursor) - Microsoft Answers - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/black-screen-on-boot-no-cursor/892d155a-aadb-4e54-8e59-edf98b0ed020

Louis

#3 jalpert

jalpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:44 AM

Dell Precision T3500 - 2 CPUs (Xeon 2.53 Ghz) - 4GB of RAM

#4 jalpert

jalpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:47 AM

This isn't that big of a deal that I would consider doing a clean install like the Microsoft articles suggests. I'll just continue to use the on/off switch.

Edited by jalpert, 05 July 2011 - 11:48 AM.

#5 jalpert

jalpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:15 AM

SOLVED! I got to thinking about what the computer might be doing at the point that it hangs up and I realized it would probably be trying to boot from a CD or some other device. However, I never saw the normal prompt for that. I realized that the only thing that has changed recently is that I've got an MP3 player plugged into the USB port so I can charge it. I unplugged the MP3 player and it reboots just like it should now.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:29 AM

Nice work :).

Some USB devices which are connected/on at boot...hamper the boot, causing the black screen/delay which you spoke of. Sorry I didn't think of that possibility yesterday, good thinking on your part...happy computing :).

Louis

#7 J.R. Sanford

J.R. Sanford

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:46 AM

SOLVED! I got to thinking about what the computer might be doing at the point that it hangs up and I realized it would probably be trying to boot from a CD or some other device. However, I never saw the normal prompt for that. I realized that the only thing that has changed recently is that I've got an MP3 player plugged into the USB port so I can charge it. I unplugged the MP3 player and it reboots just like it should now.

That is exactly what I was going to suggest. Any USB device plugged in can cause that to happen. My Sony MP3 player did exactly the same thing to my boot up as your computer did. Unplugged it and all is fine.

J.R.

Cast aside your limitations;
And you shall be boundless.

#8 jalpert

jalpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:40 PM

Yep, my MP3 player is also a Sony. I'm glad I didn't panic and hopefully this will help someone in the future.

Jo Ann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users