Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No wired connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mgm99t

mgm99t

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:10 AM

Hello All,
I have browsed the forum looking for the same problems but to no avail I could not find one.

The problem I have now is after a bad thunder and lightning storm I no longer have a working wired connection on my Toshiba A300D laptop. I have tried:
1)switching cables
2)switching power off and restarting
3)Looked under device manager under network and could not find LAN symbol, only Atheros wireless network adapter (which still works)
4)scan for hardware changes

All of this has come back negative and I am stil no closer to resolving the issue. On the ethernet port it still lights up in green and orange. I am hoping that I am just missing something simple instead of replacing or adding an external pci.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:04 AM

Go into the BIOS and see if there is an option for turning the ethernet on/off. That suggestion is is optimistic. Likely your ethernet chip fried. Replaced a few network cards (and lots of dialup modems)on desktops over the years, never have seen a fried network card/chip on a lappy yet, but it can happen.

As far a your troubleshooting, you have done it by the book. Can't improve upon that.

Edited by dpunisher, 05 July 2011 - 09:05 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 mgm99t

mgm99t
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:41 AM

Checked the Bios and LAN is turned on. I guess I can assume the worst is on me if I want a wired connection.

Thanks everyone for their input. As usual it is much appreciated.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:13 PM

Thunderstorms can easily knock out your onboard NIC card. I see this all the time around here.
If it were a tower its a ten dollar part.

You might consider getting a USB to Ethernet adapter.
If you Google it you will find many kinds and various price ranges.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users