Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC not recognizing Noontec MovieHome V7

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 StewieG23

StewieG23

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:20 AM

I just got a Noontec MovieHome V7 - which is a media player that can have movie files on it to be viewed on a television. Files are supposed to be transfered to it via a USB connection to a PC.

I can not get my computer to recognise the media player. I have powered on the unit and then connected it to my computer
as the manual states. It says that my computer should detect the device automatically. This does not happen.
I have tried different USB ports, disconnecting and waiting a while as the manual suggests, but nothing happens.

The unit does work as I have can watch files if they are on a USB stick that is plugged into the player.

My computer is Windows XP Home Edition SP 3, Compaq Presario Pentium 4 CPU 2.8GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks alot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:04 PM

Related Google Links

Louis

http://noontec.com/En/Service/FAQ/ , see How to deal with the unrecognized USB device? data.

Edited by hamluis, 05 July 2011 - 12:06 PM.

#3 StewieG23

StewieG23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:45 AM

Thanks for the reply.
I have found that it is installed in device manager, but is not showing under My Computer.
I really didn't understand most of what it said on the web site.

Is there something I can do so it shows under My Computer? Does it need to be formatted or anything? If so, how do I do it if it is not showing up on my computer?

Thanks a lot.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:45 PM

Read...the documentation that exists for this device...visit the support forums for same. It's really that simple, IMO.

If it's not functioning properly after that...maybe it's malfunctioning and you might read the warranty terms applicable.

Louis

#5 StewieG23

StewieG23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:46 AM

Have already checked the manual and the site and as I said in the previous post, I did not understand most of it.

The manual only said if it is not detected, to remove the USB cable, wait 10 seconds and try again. Have read it from cover to cover and the section about connecting to the computer is only 1/2 a page.

The website had the following suggestions;
(1) The front USB cable is connected in wrong way. Reverse connection of positive and negative between the USB cable on the motherboard and the front USB interface on computer case will lead to such failure, which is quite dangerous, because the reverse connection might make the USB device burn down. Therefore, use the rear USB interface on computer case as far as possible and extension cord as little as possible. There may also be the fracture problems, and try another USB port.

Am guessing that means to try a USB port at the back of the computer, not the front. Didn't work!

(2) USB interface voltage is insufficient. When the mobile hard disk is connected to the front USB interface, the system may not be able to identify the device. The reason is that mobile hard disk power is relatively large and strict about voltage. Front interface may not be able to provide sufficient voltage; of course, poor power supply may also cause this problem. The solution is to not connect mobile hard disk to the front USB interface, replace poor low-power power supply or use hard disk box of external power supply as much as possible.

Translation (I think) is to yet again try a USB port at the back of the computer and plug it in to the power point. Didn't work!

(3) Compatibility between motherboard and system. Among such failures the most famous is the compatibility between NF2 motherboard and USB. For NF2 motherboard problem, the solution is to install the latest USB 2.0 drive for nForce2 use only and patches, the latest motherboard patches and operating system patches. If still not working, try to refresh the motherboard BIOS.

WHAT???? No idea!!

(4) Systems or BIOS problem. When you disable USB in the BIOS or operating system, USB devices will not be identified in the system. The solution is to open the options associated with USB device, namely after booting, press F2 or the DEL key, enter BIOS, and select “enable USB device”.

Got into the BIOS setup, there were a bunch of options, but I did not see "enable USB device".

(5) Be careful to plug. Pulling out is never allowed when reading and writing, otherwise, chip may be burned. Open the new USB device icon on XP taskbar, U disk will display in the list. Choose to disable the device, and then you can pull it out, which would be more secure.

Yeah, even I know to do that!

Have also looked at the support forums, not a single post!! Tried emailing tech support, no help either.

When I have a problem with a product, I normally go to their site to get help, but I can't seem to get any from Noontec, which is why I am posting here.
Thanks

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:12 PM

Well...I can't tell you what to do since I've not even heard of this device until your post, let alone have one in front of me.

You have the biggest advantage of all over all of us...you have the device, you have access to the manual, you have access to the support page. If you can't make heads or tails of it...I think it's a reach to ask those totally unfamiliar and unacquainted with said device...functional questions about it.

I try not to pretend that I have more knowledge/experience than I have...and no one seems to want to post regarding this...I can't suggest any more than I have.

Louis

#7 antstorm

antstorm

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:14 PM

@ stewie your noontech V7 has to have an internal HDD mounted inside , what do you have ??
i have both a v9 and a v7 both with Samsung 2TB internal drives , the unit will not be recognised without it
the manual is in "engrish" ( chinese english) and is easy to misunderstand

also REALLY IMPORTANT do not do a firmware upgrade on your V7 , the latest one on the noontech website totally screws up playing avi files , people have claimed that movies longer than 2 hours reset , i havent had that issue , but if you do just ring the sydney office of noontech , they dont seem to reply to emails

:thumbup2:

#8 antstorm

antstorm

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:18 PM

ahh sorry forgot to mention one really important thing

unit must be connected in this order

1 with unit OFF ( red light )
2 use remote turn on ( blue )
3 attach to pc with usb port next to HDMI input on back
4 go to my computer ( xp) wait about 20 seconds , then right click refresh

name your internal HDD , ive found it works best that way

#9 StewieG23

StewieG23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:49 AM

[quote name='antstorm' timestamp='1310249662' post='2327653']
your noontech V7 has to have an internal HDD mounted inside , what do you have ??

Thanks for your response.
I have the V7 2TB drive.
Probably a stupid question, but how do I tell if the internal HDD is mounted inside??

Also, have not done the firmware update, thanks for the warning!

#10 antstorm

antstorm

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:03 AM

Thanks for your response.
I have the V7 2TB drive.
Probably a stupid question, but how do I tell if the internal HDD is mounted inside??

Also, have not done the firmware update, thanks for the warning!

sorry mate for the late reply ( uni assignments driving me mad!!) , when you plug it into your TV , you go to "file manager"
and it should have an icon that reads as "HDD" i have no problems running one 1.15TB one 2TB and one internal 2TB hard drive off my noontech , but i have made sure that they are all Samsung since these have been the ones ive had most success with
usually when you go to file ( on your screen in this order, it will show ) 1.movies 2.music 3.photo.4 file manager 5 system
go to the fouth icon and from there is where you will find it , another way ( but PLEASE use an anti static wrist strap) is to undo the four screws under your V7 and check to make sure the HDD is mounted in properly , if you don't know what your doing take it to a computer store , they should only charge you 20 bucks to make sure its in securely

Edited by antstorm, 17 July 2011 - 02:04 AM.

#11 brisbane guy

brisbane guy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:21 AM

Hey Stewie,
I just bought one of the same units and had the same problem..... & it was making me crazy trying to figure it out...
I checked with the seller & was advised to format, which i did with it hooked up to the TV.
Like Antstorm says above, go into the menu, then system settings, & format.
I formatted to NTSC which is what some other hard drives I have are. After that process re - checked it on the computer & it comes up then no problem.
I Installed a few movies & re checked & they all work beautifully.
I thought it would only be something simple. You certainly done have to go pulling it apart to check on hard drives....
Regards.

#12 antstorm

antstorm

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2011 - 03:43 AM

hope your V7 is going ok Stewie , mine has suffered black screen of death
PCMEAL = rip off merchants so im not even gonna bother sending it back to them to get them to fix it , they are dodgy as

hope your issues have been sorted out

Ant

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users