Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

folders in all programs came back but they are all empty.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ChristyG

ChristyG

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:33 PM

I had this problem too. My desktop icons disappeared as well as everything in my Start menu. I ran Malwarebytes which picked up "hijack.displayproperties", "hidden.desktop" and "hijack.taskmanager". Once Malwarebytes quarantined and deleted these three, my desktop and taskmanager came back however my folders in my start menu did not. I then ran Stopzilla which found alot more infected items on my computer. Once all those were quarantined and deleted then my folders in all programs came back but they are all empty. Now whatever virus I have disables any and all malware detection programs that I have.

Any suggestions?

Edited by hamluis, 05 July 2011 - 08:19 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:50 AM

Sounds like you should visit a forum for your AV product, or malware/spyware product. Some malware/viruses move the contents of folders & hide them in different location.

There is an "unhide" utility you can run, but if you cannot run your antivirus, you are still infected.

Here is a location you can check to see if files are there:
After running the unhide tool you may still be missing most of your start menu shortcuts… They can be found in a folder named smtmp inside:

(XP)- C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp
(W7)- C:\Users\(Username)\AppData\Local\Temp

These will be there unless you have removed temp files / folders

There might be three numbered folders inside C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Local Settings\Temp\smtmp folder. The folders will be numbered 1, 2 and 4.

Inside the 1 folder is a folder named “Programs.” This folder should be copied / pasted to (using XP) to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu, which will already have a folder named Programs but it is safe to overwrite it since Windows will replace the subfolders without creating duplicates.

Inside the 2 folder are the quick launch items specific for the user. Select ALL of these shortcuts and copy / paste to (using XP) C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch.

Inside the 4 folder are the desktop items that should be copied to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop.

For Windows 7 users, the all users start menu is C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and the all users desktop folder is C:\Users\Public\Desktop
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#3 soflanetworking

soflanetworking

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:43 AM

Unhide.exe tutorial

Sounds like the above will fix your problem, but I would suggest running a full scan with MalwareBytes, and switching your AV to Webroot Spy Sweeeper.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users