Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dump Unity and Use Ubuntu Classic In 11.04

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:35 PM

I intend to use 10.4 until the next long term supported release. Or even longer unless 12.4 LTS gives me good reason to switch.

I have reviewed the change to Unity in 11.04 and until today
somehow missed the option to dump Unity and switch to Classic. I found this simple tutorial to do that. Here
is a link to it--- How to Use Classic GNOME Session on Ubuntu 11.04 - Softpedia

Would like to hear comments from those who have 11.04 and have tried the Classic version. What they think of it
and any glitches or bugs encountered.

I have read on the web of others who chose to install Mint instead of Ubuntu because of Unity. I wonder if they
were not aware that you can switch to Classic or not. Another reason for this topic.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:28 PM

I'm really glad you brought this topic up buddy215. I've been using the Classic Ubuntu for a few weeks now on 11.04, and love it!

I have only encountered one problem ( such as a friend of mine did ), but it's easily fixed. The problem was that there were no title bars on any windows I opened - to close them ( such as Firefox and Thunderbird ), I had to go to the bottom panel, click on them, and close them from there. So.... if anyone encounters this, go System/Preferences/ select Compizconfig Settings Manager, and under effects put a checkmark in the box next to Window Decoration. This will correct that problem.

If perchance anyone shouldn't have the Manager under preferences, they can install it from Synaptic Package Manager. As you can tell, I prefer the GUI method over commandline whenever possible - hee hee.

One other thing I did notice - normally when I want to set up the Compiz effects ( on a Debian-based system ), I first had to go to System/preferences/Appearance, and select the Visual Effects tab, tic Extra, then let it install the packages it needed, restart, then go to CCSM and have fun. In 11.04 ( Ubuntu Classic ) that tab is no longer there - I'm guessing that it's already installed because of Unity?

If I should happen across anything else out of the norm, I'll post it on this thread.

Edited by Keith1, 04 July 2011 - 07:29 PM.

#3 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:52 PM

"If I should happen across anything else out of the norm, I'll post it on this thread"
Please do. That's good info.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:34 PM

Here's a little something else I just received in my email.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/classicmenu-indicator-notification-area-applet-for-the-top-panel-of-ubuntu%E2%80%99s-unity-desktop-environment.html

#5 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:17 PM

I love the look and feel of the Unity desktop! the Pan and zoom desk tops remind me of an android interface. sexy. but unfortunately accessing the apps from the top bar is a pain in the bleep. Also: when I am in a browser (firefox or chrome) I always bump the side bar and it slides over the "back" navigation button. not a big deal really but inconvenient. Classic's drop menus are more ideal so I use it 99% of the time.

#6 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:46 AM

buddy in ubuntu 11.10 gnome3 will give you the same interface as the classic desktop does in 11.04. they just have moved somethings around. testing 11.10 on a separate partition and gnome3 interface looks great.
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users