Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot order not found

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jericho380

jericho380

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:26 PM

My co-worker gave me his Toshiba laptop to look at which all he could tell me "it's not working". So, I have brought it home and after the Toshiba screen, it goes to a error screen basically telling me it cannot find the boot order. So, I try the f12 to go to the boot screen and of course, asks me for a password. No luck, even tho he told me he bought it brand new and gave me his password and the one the seller set it up with. So, I think I am basically hooped on fixing this one. It is a Toshiba satellite running Vista 64 bit. It told me to install the disk that came with it, he doesn't have it, but because I have a few new ones (for my computer rebuilding hobby)...it does not work, Keeps coming back with the boot error. I am having him look for his disks and documentation, but I was hoping that You guys and your infinite wisdom might be able to help me. I may not get back to this until tomorrow,so excuse my absence. He told me he was downloading music when it shut off and this is where he is now. Any help would be appreciated.
Funny thing about "The Blues", You can listen to them when your Happy, Sad, Angry, or just plain Blah. It's a non discriminating mood music. :) HP Pavilion a1600n Windows XP media edition 2 gigs ram 1TB with external hard drive. Or depends on which computer I plug in that day....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:22 AM

What is the EXACT error message you see and EXACTLY when do you see it?

#3 jericho380

jericho380
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:07 AM

Will get that for you, sorry for bumping up this thread with my reply. I did not get a chance last night to get at the computer, but will have that error code for you tonight.
Funny thing about "The Blues", You can listen to them when your Happy, Sad, Angry, or just plain Blah. It's a non discriminating mood music. :) HP Pavilion a1600n Windows XP media edition 2 gigs ram 1TB with external hard drive. Or depends on which computer I plug in that day....

#4 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:29 PM

It told me to install the disk that came with it,

Knowing the EXACT error will make a difference in the repair process, but if you boot the PC and it tells you to insert boot disc or something of the sort that's typically a hard drive issue.

#5 jericho380

jericho380
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:13 PM

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

This is off the Windows Boot Manager screen. I cannot boot off a windows vista disk as this screen keeps popping up right after the "Toshiba" screen.

Hoping you can help.

Thanks again.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:20 PM

The reason you can't boot to the Vista cd is because it isn't at the top of the device boot order in bios. Go into bios, make the cd drive the first boot device, save the change, exit and boot to the Vista cd. Then go to Vista startup repair options and let it rebuild the boot record.

#7 jericho380

jericho380
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:40 PM

Again, I think this is a lost cause because the bios is pass word protected and the password he gave me which he has used since he bought this does not work at the password prompt. I apologize if I am wasting your time.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:42 PM

Well, you need to be able to boot to the Vista cd. You might want to do a Google search for resetting the bios password.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users