Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

just bought used ipod and need to know how to virus scan it without infecting my computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 westsyde

westsyde

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:47 PM

I just bought a ipod nano 2nd genaration, used from a friend and i know it has been hooked up to multiple computers... so because of that i dont want to possibaly infect my computer ( if it is infected) so how can i hook it up to my computer to scan it without it running on my computer, and should i scan it with more than one anti-virus.
thank you for your help. it is greatly appriciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:21 PM

I could be completely ignorant here but....ipods and MP3 players can infect computers? that's a new one for me but if it's true I have more reading to do! sorry, I didn't help you. I obviously don't know. but am extremely curious if this is true.

#3 westsyde

westsyde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:32 AM

i just did some more research on google about it (its hard to find a straight answer) and i guess it is less common than i thought... but this is what i read on a website..."they arent capable of being infected. however, some viruses or malware will put files on your ipod that when plugged into another computer will infect the computer. this is because windows will recognize it as removable storage and thats all the virus or malware looks for. if it can paste its infected file on it it will. the file will not affect the ipod in any way tho."... on some other sites it also said it is Very uncommon. so i think my chances are quite slim. i guess i shoulda done a bit more research on how common it accually was... thank you for your responce

#4 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:11 AM

sure, no problem. thanks for the information!

#5 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:10 AM

Then can infect your computer just like a USB drive can. Just by connecting it to your computer, there are viruses that can jump from that drive to your computer before you do anything with it. You can load infected songs on to the Ipod, moving them from the ipod to the computer gives you the virus that way too. Just plug it into your computer an run your antivirus on that drive.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#6 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:24 AM

First and foremost, make sure your computer does not "autorun" anything on a CD/DVD drive or USB port.

Next, try posting about this in the AntiVirus Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods forum. Most MP3 players that I know of can be used to transfer data files, including executables.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users