Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video/Monitor

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 atlantamiki1

atlantamiki1

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:21 PM

Since Saturday I am having problems with my video/monitor graphics. (I have a specs report below, if that helps)

My problem:
1. The icons/graphics of the windows and the windows are at 3 times too big. The aspect ratios are out of scale for my screen.
2. Changing the resolution to 1152X 864 doesnít help. I donít have the large icons checkbox selected. I can't alter the font size in the appearance dialog box.
3. My startup and taskbar are not visible. Not even if I use the windows key on the keyboard.
4. My cursor veers out of visibility range on my screen.

Some things that are different since Saturday afternoon:

I started having problems with my McAfee disabling itself. A technician worked with me through a complete removal and reinstallation. He used remote access to make some changes, including internet settings that prevented automatic updates.

After resolving that issue, I rebooted and the monitor resolution changed by itself to the lowest setting ( like 640X280) or something like that. Thatís when the aspect ratios went out of proportion too. I couldnít change the settings just by going through the display properties dialog box.

My former roommate had installed some hardware so I could set my television up as a second monitor. I moved about 2 months ago, so he removed the hardware. Yesterday, after I rebooted from the McAfee incident and got the poor resolution, I thought the NVDIA software components were unnecessary so I used ADD/Remove Programs to uninstall the NVDIA graphics software.
The desktop resolution returned to normal but the aspect ratios were still out of proportion. When I rebooted, I got a New Hardware Installation Wizard dialog box about a VGA Controller so I tried to follow up with it, but it said it was unable to complete the installation. This happened a few times, so I reinstalled NVDIA, my screen went completely blank, and I had to go into safe mode to uninstall it again. the Wizard dialog box stopped popping up, but I am still experiencing problems 1-4.

I deleted an NVIDIA folder lingering in a personal folder, but that may have been a mistake too.

I also tried looking for any updated drivers but the one in the report is a few numbers higher than the one they offered, so I didnít replace it.

Ahhhhhhhhh, please help. Hopefully I didnít overwhelm you with details, but I know I forgot something I may have done Saturday. What to do?

Now I guess the Intel Graphics is the default monitor setting. Here is some system and monitor info:

INTELģ EXTREME GRAPHICS 2 REPORT
Report Date: 07/03/2011
Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 12:21:36
Driver Version: 6.14.10.4396
Operating System: Windows XP* Home Edition, Service Pack 3 (5.1.2600)
Default Language: English
DirectX* Version: 9.0
Physical Memory: 1021 MB
Minimum Graphics Memory: 0 MB
Maximum Graphics Memory: 96 MB
Graphics Memory in Use: 7 MB
Processor: x86
Processor Speed: 2394 MHZ
Vendor ID: 8086
Device ID: 2572
Device Revision: 02
* Accelerator Information *
Accelerator in Use: Intelģ 82865G Graphics Controller
Video BIOS: Not Available
Current Graphics Mode: 1152 by 864 True Color (60 Hz)

* Other names and brands are the property of their respective owners.

Dell Dimension 3000 series
Board: Dell Computer Corp. 0N6381
Bus Clock: 533 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A01 08/24/2004

At the beginning of the boot, I see some information about NVIDIA GeforceZ MX-400 VGA BIOS. So does that mean, I goofed, and deleted important software? Can I retrieve it?

Edited by atlantamiki1, 04 July 2011 - 05:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users