Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FPS Issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:41 PM

Alright,

Ive been playing F.E.A.R for about a week now. Every so often, during parts of the game, the FPS will dip down into the 20s (using FRAPS). This usually happens in large, open areas where there are alot of objects and people shooting at me. There is also a considerable amount of Ghosting on my monitor mixed in.

Anyway, It annoys me that my computer is unable to run this game smoothly. I am currently running the game at 1600xsomething resolution and 4x Anti-Aliasing.

I more than meet the Recommended requirements for this game, so Im not sure what the deal is.

My Specs:
AMD Phenom II x3
2GB DDR3 1333
ATI Radeon HD4870
650Watt PSU

I also have the latest ATI drivers for my card.

So, my question is, why do I still have FPS issues? The only thing I can think of is that I need more RAM, but the game calls for 2GB, of which I have (although I only have 800mb usable)...
I will be solving my ghosting problem by buying a new monitor, however, the FPS issue doesnt have much to do with my monitor to my knowledge.

Any ideas? F.E.A.R really isnt that graphically intensive, so Im stumped. I also have the same issue with Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 2 (also ME runs better than FEAR and Fallout).

Let me know what you all think,
--Neil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Neil B.

Neil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:41 PM

Well?

Would upgrading my RAM increase my FPS?

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:25 PM

Cut the AA off, do frame rates improve? If they do, then it is a card GPU/memory problem, not a system memory problem. Vice versa, if framerates remain the same, you have a concern with the CPU or system memory. If you are running Vista or WIN7, then 2 gig might be cutting it thin.

For me Crysis was the first game that made me upgrade to 4gig of system memory. My 2gig, even with XP, wasn't cutting it. During the game it would stutter, framerates would drop, and the hard drive would start thrashing the pagefile. Which reminds me, look at your hard drive light and see if your hard drive is thrashing during your slowdowns. If it is thrashing during your slowdowns, then thats an indication you are running low on memory as your HD is hitting your pagefile.

Edited by dpunisher, 04 July 2011 - 07:26 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Neil B.

Neil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:42 PM

Okay Ill try what you mentioned.

To be honest though, the game deosnt "slow down" hardly at all.

The effect that Im seeing is during certain parts, when I move the camera from left to right, objects blur... its really strange and hard for me to describe.
Basically, when Im running around, sometimes not even in a gun fight, some images will lag or "ghost". But it does not affect the performance... its pretty strange.

#5 Neil B.

Neil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:16 PM

I lowered the resolution a bit and that seemed to help. Turning AA off still returned the same effect. I was planning on upgrading my memory anyway, so I will see if that makes a difference.

#6 alpha4345

alpha4345

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:23 PM

I have the same problem but with another game... I meet ALL the system requirements and my controls are acting like 1 second after I press my buttons...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users