Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pareto Filecure? Help! Any danger here

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jackz4000

jackz4000

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:45 PM

Last night I tried to download an Ebook at Smashwords. I selected the Epub format and thought it would go to either my Calibre or Nook programs, both Epub format. Instead of the "run" or "save" dialogue box, I got the "find" or "save" box. When I click "find" I am on a Microsoft looking webpage and they recommend Prateo Filecure to fix my problem of a file extension fix. I download the 2.4MB program and scan and it tells me I have 20 problems and to click on "fix".

I click on that and then I have to register and give my email address. I do. Then a pop up tells me to pay todays special price of 9.95 to get the "fix" to work. I decline and uninstall at Control Panel and do a file/folder search and trash that 1 file. Then I scan with Malwarebytes and Avast and looks like I'm Ok.

BUT, I do a Google search and this program looks dodgy at best with many complaints about Trojans and Prateo Filecure taking over their computers.

How can I make sure I'm Ok? I have HijackThis and a new Combofix, but...I'll wait for a bigger brain than mine.

Thanks, Jack

Dell D600
Windows XP Sp3
IE8

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:13 PM

First of all I don't understand why you really need Paretologic FileCure.
If you're having some computer issues I can't really say from your post what they're.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 jackz4000

jackz4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:40 PM

If you're having some computer issues I can't really say from your post what they're.

I don't have a problem yet. But when I did a Google on Prateo Filecure I found many complaints of Trojans from the program and redirects to the Filecure site. So I wondered if I should do more than I've already done after uninstalling it. I don't know why Microsoft has them on their webpage?

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:45 PM

I doubt, it was a real MS page. As far as I know, MS doesn't promote any non-MS software.
In any case, you don't need any kind of "miracle" programs like FileCure, so just leave it alone.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 jackz4000

jackz4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:15 AM

I don't have a problem yet. But when I did a Google on Prateo Filecure I found many complaints of Trojans from the program and redirects to the Filecure site. So I wondered if I should do more than I've already done after uninstalling it. I don't know why Microsoft has them on their webpage?

Could have been forged, but it looked genuine. Now I am pretty sure it was an ad on the MS page. It really even wasn't a file extension problem I later found out. Grrrrr.

#6 Pareto Rep

Pareto Rep

Authorized Paretologic Representative

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:31 AM

Hi Jack,

I wanted to follow up and hopefully address any worries you might have about FileCure's safety. ParetoLogic is committed to online security, and we take matters like these very seriously.

FileCure does not contain any Trojans, worms, spyware, or other forms of malicious software. Each ParetoLogic download and website is continually checked to ensure it is completely safe. Downloads and scans will only be initiated upon a users request. FileCure will not take over a user's PC, and it can be uninstalled at any time (as you have done).

ParetoLogic is also a member in good standing with the BBB, a Microsoft Certified Partner, and a recipient of numerous industry awards.

To address your other questions, it's most likely that you did see an ad for FileCure on a Microsoft web page. FileCure helps users find the program they need to open specific files. As you mentioned, FileCure might not have addressed your particular issue. This is why we offer a free download and scan - so users can check out the program to make sure it's right for them before making a purchase.

Thank you.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:42 PM

@ Pareto Rep
Why would anyone want to pay 10 bucks for fixing something what can be fixed for free?

You realize, that your company products don't have the best ratings around the net.
Just looking at WOT ratings should do: http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/paretologic.com

My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users