Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tramond

tramond

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:58 PM

I'm running Xp pro and i'm having serious issues. It's been going on for quite some time now, and since this is free, I thought I would come here first and see if you guys could help. At first, my computer was just freezing up when I played any music\video. I disabled both sound cards( 1 soundblaster and the other on-board) thinking that would solve the problem. That did nothing. I asked around a bit and people told me that it could be my RAM. I upgraded to 512 mb, to no avail. Now, everytime I start up the computer, I get an error that Microsoft has experienced an error that it can not correct, or something to that effect. (( I also get this error."Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."))

After submitting a report, I got the MS Online Crash Analysis. It told me that whatever the problem is, is being caused by a Device Driver. I checked Device Manager and it does not show any errors, but I did a little more searching on the Crash Analysis and it said that my display device driver's were causing the problems. Well, I went to nVidia and got the drivers and installed them, and I still get the error. I checked the Error Log under Admin. Tools and it seem s that "SVCHOST.EXE" is causing the problem. I opened Task Manager and I saw that maybe 7 or 8 of these "svchost.exe" processes are running.

I've run AVG, Norton, and Stopsign but before they can scan 100%, the computer reboots itself. That also happens randomly whenever i'm on the computer.

I'm really at a total loss right now so any help would be appreciated.

Edited by tramond, 10 January 2006 - 11:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:13 AM

Okay, first you'll want to boot into Safe mode by hitting F8 repeatedly after the POST beep until you get a menu. Choose Safe mode, of course.

Run your favorite spyware/malware programs (I use Adaware and Spybot S&D) and ensure you don't have any nasties hiding in there. A HijackThis log might also benefit you.

Your computer should work fine while in safe mode, assuming that this is indeed a driver issue.

You might want to uninstall all your video drivers and then reinstall them after a reboot. You could also try a slightly older than the "latest and greatest" driver, sometimes that helps.

Run only one sound device at a time, either the onboard or the add-on. There may be a BIOS option to turn off the onboard sound.

You want to run only one Antivirus program, pick one and get rid og the other, I'd recommend AVG over Norton's, or Avast! which is what Iuse now.

If you haven't got a firewall running, then get one. The Win firewall that came with SP2 is better than nothing, though Zone Alarm and Black ICE are both highly recommended.
Posted Image

#3 tramond

tramond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 06:21 PM

ok
i`ll try all of that, but can you tell me what's up with "hijack this." I've read a few forums with it in it but it sounds suspicious lol. I'm about to read reviews on CNET but i'm just taking precautions.

#4 tramond

tramond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 06:47 PM

I quit.:| It restarted itself IN safe mode. Gee golly:(

#5 tom385

tom385

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:13 PM

To stop your computer from restarting itself, do this. Go to my computer, right click, properties, advanced, Athe the bottom you will see, Start up and recovery, then click on settings, and uncheck auto restart. That should do the trick so you can work in safemode without the restarting. Also, is this a home built or a name brand comp ? One other thing comes to mind, power off the comp, unplug the power from the unit and pull the side panel off and use a can of compressed air to blow out all the dust. It could also be a heat issue but I see you have oter problems as well.
Anyhow, try what I just posted, it should allow you to run the scans in safemode without the unit restarting itself.
Good luck.

#6 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:59 PM

Hi there,
there's nothing suspicious about 'hijackthis'...
What it will do is, create a report about system that can then be interpreted by one of the BC experts. They can then tell you what (if any) virus's, trojans, malware etc are lurking on your computer, and then can advise you on how to get rid of them.
Just take a look at the Hijackthis logs and analysis
Look through the logs there, you'll be able to see just what goes on.
If you feel you need to submit a log, please read this first.....
Preparation guide before posting a hijackthis log
Good luck

BBPP6nz.png

#7 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:33 PM

tramond: I moved your HiJackThis log to the appropriate forum. You can find it here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40889/hjt-log-tramond/

Thanks.
JC

#8 tramond

tramond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:50 PM

I think Windows is slowly telling me that its my graphics card that is causing all of this non-sense. When I was in safe mode (auto restart turned off) I ran NoAdware and it found nothing. I didn't get a chance to run Spybot because it switched to a screen saying that an error occured and windows shut down to prevent harming the computer. I read a little more and it said check your display drivers.

( BTW, sometimes my display switches from the XP (blue, default) scheme to the old windows (the grey, ugly, plain crap) and then back to XP.)

So... How would I disable the nVidia card and use the on board video card? The onboard video card (as far as i can tell) is disabled because its not on the hardware managing screen. I`ll add a screen print so you can see what i'm talking about.

Nvm. I don't even have a port for an on board video card. What I do have is a disk that came with the computer with all of the factory defaults and drivers on it. I'd hate to lose everything on my computer again :thumbsup:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/tramond/576745.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/tramond/12312.jpg

The 1st link is the device manager. ( The multimedia controller is the Soundblaster soundcard. I removed it and disabled it.)
2nd Link print screen from Error report

Edited by tramond, 11 January 2006 - 10:10 PM.

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 07:03 AM

I also get this error."Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience

MS has a fix for that here.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#10 tramond

tramond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 08:17 PM

anyone know anything to help the 'device driver' part??

#11 Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:42 AM

I'm not getting a warm, fuzzy by the device restarting while in Safe Mode... that generally means it isn't a driver conflict (the usual non-malware cause for these problems), but rather an actual hardware problem.

Perhaps your video card is on its way out... does it have a fan on it, and does the fan still work?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users