Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd-rom Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Neverwill

Neverwill

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:58 PM

well..im having problems with my cd drive..windows xp wont recognize it..so i duno whats goin on...all the cables are pluged in perfectly..but windows doesnt see my cd drive..any aditional info i need just tell me and i'll put it on..but i've gota sleep now..talk to you all later..and thanks for any advice

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 04:07 AM

Is this a new installation, or is this a problem with an existing drive? You might check in the BIOS to make sure that optical drive is enabled, and is listed properly, ie...master/slave.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Neverwill

Neverwill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 08:14 PM

well..i tried to install my cd burner into this computer..(the burner's been problem free but then my computer crashed so im putting the burner into my moms comp)..and it doesnt say anything in bios about any of my cd drives

Posted Image

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2006 - 08:08 AM

If the burner worked in the other computer then the burner is probably good. The probem more than likely is the drive select jumper on the back of the drive. What you do is look at the old drive that came out of the computer and see where the drive select jumper is located. Where to look? Easy on the back of the drive it is a small section next to where the ribbon cable plugs into, there is usually a number of gold pins in 2 rows with a jumper on them. And there should be some markings etched into the case right over the top that have letters like MA, SL. You have to determine if the old drive was a slave or master. Set the new drive to the same thing. The ribbon cable will have either an odd colored wire like red on one side of it or the wire will have a little ridge, this is pin 1 If the connector has a locator tab in the one side it doesnot matter it is located automatically.

When this is set properly one way you can tell this is when the power is turned on and after the computer goes thru initial boot the drive will open and close when the button on the front of the drive is pressed.

Hopefully this will work. :thumbsup:

cya l8r

ThorXP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users