Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Latency

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:12 AM

When it comes to memory Ive heard mixed opinions...

Some say that the difference between CAS 7 and CAS 9 is noticeable... others say its not, and I shouldnt worry about it.

Im looking to upgrade my system with a new monitor and new RAM. However, I cant decide if I should spend more money for RAM with a latency rating of 7. Or if should save a few bucks and get memory with 8 or 9.... does it really matter? Will I even notice it while gaming?

Thanks
--Neil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:17 PM

To be honest, I can't really tell a difference between CAS 8 to CAS 7. CAS9 to CAS 7 might, just might, make a noticable difference on a really memory intensive program. I think for whatever reason ever since memory controllers moved to the CPU, latency has become less of an issue. If you benchmark, and look at the throughput, latency makes a difference. When you compare that to overall system/gaming performance, then you have a hard time trying to see the difference. Figure also, not every application is memory bandwidth intensive. I have really, really, loosened up timings when troubleshooting systems, and I do notice a difference on old SDR and DDR systems a lot more than modern stuff.

All that being said, I still go for the best (fastest/lowest latency/lowest voltage) memory that fits the budget. I just like to have headroom with my components. Get memory rated to run with at least a synchronous "bus" speed with your CPU. If you are going to overclock by bumping FSB/BCLK, make sure your RAM can run at those speeds as well.

Edited by dpunisher, 04 July 2011 - 12:18 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Neil B.

Neil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:26 PM

Can RAM cause ghosting/lag effects in games? Or is that mainly caused by the monitor? (I have a 5ms response rate)

#4 beermatt

beermatt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:54 AM

Ghosting? No.

Lag? Possibly but doubtful. To quote dpunisher's previous post "When you compare that to overall system/gaming performance, then you have a hard time trying to see the difference."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users