Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

difference between "sent" and "sent items" in outlook

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 abcd_1

abcd_1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:35 AM

Hi

SYSTEM CONFIGURATION:

I am using microsoft outlook version 12.0 on an windows xp laptop.

QUESTION:

I am able to see two folders in my outlook. one is called "Sent" and other is "Sent Items". Once i send the mail to somebody, some of the mails go and sit into "Sent" folder and a few of the mails go and sit into "Sent Items" folder

I tried to identify a pattern, but unfortunately could not.

Can somebody explain to me
1) what is the difference between the two folders (sent and sent items) ?
2) why are sometimes the mails i send go to "sent" folder and sometimes into "Sent Items " folder (what is the pattern ?)

Hope i made my question clear .
Please feel free to write back, if at all you need a few more details about the question

thanks everybody

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:20 PM

What is difference between "Sent Items" folder and "Sent - Microsoft Answers

What type of email account is used in Outlook? (POP or IMAP or Exchange)

Sent Items folder is the default store location for all outgoing items in Outlook. Sent Messages folder will never appear in Outlook by default until itís created manually or if itís available in the mail server depending upon the account type.

If a POP account is used in Outlook then you may move all items from Sent messages folder to the Sent Items folder and then delete the Sent messages folder. Ensure no rule is created in Outlook to move emails to the Sent messages folder. Right-click on the Sent messages folder and select delete to remove it, delete option for Sent Items folder will not be available since itís a default folder.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 abcd_1

abcd_1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:02 AM

thanks for the reply.

i have checked for the email account type. it is MAPI

Please suggest , if i can treat it as POP and go ahead and delete the sent folder or not ?

Edited by abcd_1, 05 July 2011 - 04:02 AM.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,991 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:11 AM

Gmail recommends this setting for IMAP and Outlook 2003: (suggest you backup the folders before making changes)

In the Email Options settings reached by selecting Tools > Options > Preferences:

Save copies of messages in Sent Items folder > do NOT check

[/list]

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 abcd_1

abcd_1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:10 AM

hi buddy215.

thanks so much for your inputs but

please reconsider your thoughts. the reason i say is ..if i uncheck the check box with the messages "Save copies of messages in Sent Items folder" and then delete the "sent" folder , i think i might be in a soup because, one folder i have deleted and one folder i am asking outlook not to store in it.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,991 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:35 AM

Since there is no rush, wait for a second opinion.
Do you use an ISP email program or gmail, hotmail, live mail, yahoo or other?

#7 bjamrok

bjamrok

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:11 PM

We see this all the time when a user accesses an email account from another device. By default my email system places my sent emails in a folder called "sent items" but when users utilize a blackberry, android, iphone or another email client such as thunderbird, those emails may end up in a "sent" folder. My droid automatically created a "sent" folder on my work account even though the mail server uses "sent items". Also the reverse is a possibility. If your email server uses a "sent" folder by default, sending emails from a webmail interface may go to sent, but Outlook may use "sent items". In short if it is the case that you connect to the email account by more than one means, just make both software use the same folder name for sent messages.
Sincerely,

Brian

"Thanks to all of you who contribute to open source projects and communities!"

http://jamroktech.blogspot.com

#8 abcd_1

abcd_1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:17 PM

The time has come that i need to thank both buddy215 and bjamrok for the kind and timely help they have rendered.

bjamrok,

i think you are right. A while ago, I used to connect to my email using thunderbird.
Hence probably that could be the reason.

Corrective action: i will try and look into thunderbird settings, if at all something can be done from there.

Thank you very much again buddy215 and bjamrok.

#9 bjamrok

bjamrok

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:33 PM

You're Welcome!

Good Luck
Sincerely,

Brian

"Thanks to all of you who contribute to open source projects and communities!"