Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Most frustrating freezing problem. Need help please

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Neilarado

Neilarado

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:12 PM

3 weeks ago, my Dell Inspiron 1720 was hit with multiple infections. I took it to Staples with my Vista software and had them wipe out everything and reformat it back to scratch. I picked it up the next day, took it home, and started doing the windows updates. It froze for the first time during one of the updates and I was forced to hold down the power button to turn it off and back on. Now it randomly freezes all the time. When I turn it off and turn it back on, it freezes on bootup about 2/3 of the time. It seems to always freeze at the screen where the circular windows logo pops up right before you get to the login screen. Once I do get it to boot, I can use it for various amounts of time (sometimes up to 4 hours or so) before it freezes again. It freezes at all times, whether im on the internet or even when Im looking at the desktop with no programs open.

I did a lot of research online before coming here. I've tested my memory and hard drive and they pass every test. The weird thing is, even when I was infected I never had this freezing problem. I downloaded every (i believe) driver from Dell's website for this laptop so I dont think thats the issue. I was thinking it could be overheating, but then why would it just start happening now?

I plan on taking it back to Staples on Tuesday (unless they're open tomorrow) but I have a lot of online homework to do until then and when it freezes, I sometimes lose my work. Plus, the people at Staples dont seem like the smartest people in the world when it comes to this. Does anyone know what this issue could be from? Again, I never had this issue before reformatting and my computer is infection-free. Thanks in advance for the help! I'll be checking on this very often so if any more information is needed, let me know :)

I have 3 GB of memory, 120 GB hard drive with 70 available GB. Intel Core 2 Duo T5450 1.66GHz. Windows Vista Home 32 bit with Service Pack 2 upgrade.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Neilarado

Neilarado
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:27 PM

i forgot to mention, i did try doing windows repair with the disk in and it said there were no problems

#3 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:58 AM

Can you get it booted in safe mode at all? If you can, it would suggest a possible driver problem. When it freezes, is it completely unresponsive, no keyboard mouse etc?

#4 Neilarado

Neilarado
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:49 PM

Yes, completely unresponsive. All i can do is hold the power button to shut off and then turn it back on. It boots in both modes, but about half the time it freezes at the windows vista splash screen right before login. And im forced to power down and turn it back on again. Other times it freezes is usually when im on internet. Once again, completely frozen

#5 Knightsman

Knightsman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:06 AM

The big question is does it do it in safe mode.

Go download ubuntu, and create an ISO. When you create the disk, put it in your computer and run it in evaluation mode, and it will load and see if it freezes when your doing that.

Typically I would point to hardware on this, although you tested the memory and hard drive, it could also be your motherboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users