Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan and Browser Redirects

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nightingaling

Nightingaling

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:51 PM

Hello there - my laptop recently was observed to have picked up some sort of Trojan virus, and proceeded to redirect all of my searches to strange yellowpages websites. I am using a Lenovo ThinkPad with a Windows 7 OS.
Earlier today it was behaving perfectly normally, however, I downloaded some files from a seemingly safe source which seems to have been the problem, since the computer began to exhibit symptoms almost directly afterwards. (I am typing this on a different, clean laptop but would really like to receive help on the other as soon as possible as it is used for working and some monetary transactions.)

I ran an MBAM scan and rebooted my computer, according to it, the trojans were unloaded successfully as a second quick scan and then a third full scan showed no further instances of the virus (I even ran a bitdefender scan which told me I was clean). However, since I use the computer for work I would really like to check and make sure it is clean.

This is the log of the first MBAM quick scan: (Also - my MBAM is apparently outdated by 7 days, but I've been getting an update error when it tries to connect to the database. I fixed this last time I needed an update a few weeks ago by uninstalling and reinstalling, but I'm afraid to do that on this computer right now. Since I'm using a different computer I also typed this out rather than copypasting the .txt file.)

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.51.0.1200
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6950

Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421

7/3/2011 6:51:00 PM
mbam-log-2011-07-03 (18-51-00).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 161322
Time elapsed: 1 minute(s), 27 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 2
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 4
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 3

Memory Processes Infected:
C:\Users\Emi\Appdata\Local\Temp\0.2546302622977247.exe (Spyware.Passwords.XGen) -> 1036 -> Unloaded process successfully.
C:\Users\Emi\Appdata\Local\Temp\csrss.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> 6852 -> Unloaded process successfully.

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\conhost (Spyware.Passwords.XGen) -> Value: conhost -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\Load (Trojan.Agent) -> Value: Load -> Delete on reboot.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell (Hijack.Shell.Gen) -> Value: Shell -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ProxyServer (PUM.Bad.Proxy) -> Value: ProxyServer -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\Load (Trojan.Agent) -> Bad: (C:\Users\Emi\AppData\Local\Temp\csrss.exe) Good: () -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Users\Emi\AppData\Local\Temp\0.2546302622977247.exe (Spyware.Passwords.XGen) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Emi\AppData\Roaming\microsoft\conhost.exe (Spyware.Passwords.XGen) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Emi\AppData\Local\Temp\csrss.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Thank you greatly for taking the time to read this and help out, I'm absolutely frantic right now. If I can get this confirmed, well, I've definitely learned my lesson with this scare...

Edited by Nightingaling, 03 July 2011 - 07:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:58 PM

Hello,some malware will try to prevent running and/or updateing. Let's do this next. we still may need to run another but we'll wait and see.

Please note your passwords were stolen so change them from another PC or after thos is cleaned.

Reboot into Safe Mode with Networking
How to start Windows 7 in Safe Mode

>>>> Download this file and doubleclick on it to run it. Allow the information to be merged with the registry.

RKill....

Download and Run RKill
  • Please download RKill by Grinler from one of the 4 links below and save it to your desktop.

Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3
    Link 4

• Before we begin, you should disable your anti-malware softwares you have installed so they do not interfere RKill running as some anti-malware softwares detect RKill as malicious. Please refer to this page if you are not sure how.
  • Double-click on Rkill on your desktop to run it. (If you are using Windows Vista, please right-click on it and select Run As Administrator)
  • A black screen will appear and then disappear. Please do not worry, that is normal. This means that the tool has been successfully executed.
  • If nothing happens or if the tool does not run, please let me know in your next reply

Do not reboot your computer after running rkill as the malware programs will start again. Or if rebooting is required run it again.

If you continue having problems running rkill.com, you can download iExplore.exe or eXplorer.exe, which are renamed copies of rkill.com, and try them instead.

Next run Superantisypware (SAS):

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the Scanning Control tab.
  • Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
  • Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
  • Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.
If you have a problem downloading, installing or getting SAS to run, try downloading and using the SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner instead. Save the randomly named file (i.e. SAS_1710895.COM) to a usb drive or CD and transfer to the infected computer. Then double-click on it to launch and scan. The file is randomly named to help keep malware from blocking the scanner.

Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

Please ask any needed questions,post logs and Let us know how the PC is running now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Nightingaling

Nightingaling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:48 AM

Thank you greatly for your prompt reply, I'm relieved that I can get some help on this scare.

When you say that the passwords are stolen, do you mean from my computer user account specifically, or every account on the computer? (I have family members who have accounts as well, and some away on vacation that can't actually change the passwords right now. I'm afraid that if I leave them a third party may abuse the accounts, though...)

At any rate, here is the SAS log:

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 07/04/2011 at 09:16 AM

Application Version : 4.55.1000

Core Rules Database Version : 7369
Trace Rules Database Version: 5181

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 00:56:48

Memory items scanned : 366
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 15776
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 38903
File threats detected : 14

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Users\Emi\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\emi@doubleclick[1].txt
C:\Users\Emi\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\emi@ad.yieldmanager[2].txt
C:\Users\Emi\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\emi@pointroll[2].txt
C:\Users\Emi\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\emi@collective-media[2].txt
C:\Users\Emi\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\emi@yieldmanager[1].txt
C:\Users\Emi\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\emi@ads.pointroll[1].txt
C:\Users\Emi\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\emi@mediabrandsww[1].txt
C:\Users\Emi\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\emi@atdmt[2].txt
C:\Users\Emi\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\emi@media6degrees[2].txt
C:\Users\Emi\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\emi@imrworldwide[2].txt
C:\Users\Emi\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\emi@adbrite[1].txt
C:\Users\Emi\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\emi@invitemedia[2].txt

Trojan.Agent/Gen-IExplorer[Fake]
C:\USERS\SHIFU\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP\RARSFX1\NIRD\IEXPLORE.EXE

Trojan.Agent/Gen-PEC
C:\USERS\SHIFU\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP\RARSFX1\PROCS\EXPLORER.EXE

I actually full-scanned twice because the first time, SAS failed to save a log of the scan for some reason. Unfortunately... these trojans were detected both times and keep reappearing. I hope that they're false positives because this user account hasn't even been used for a few week (though it is the administrator), but I can never be sure...

Also, I wasn't sure whether or not I should reboot into normal or safe mode after having SAS scan and 'remove,' I ended up accidentally rebooting into normal mode both times so I hope that is fine as well.

I'll edit in the MBAM log soon, I haven't actually finished that step yet.
Though to note on the PC's current performance - after running that very first MBAM scan and rebooting, firefox told me it couldn't connect to the internet because of a proxy server. I disabled the connect through proxy server in the options and was able to successfully connect. I only made two searches but neither of them redirected. It seemed to be all right but I'm worried there is something hidden...

EDIT: It still isn't letting me update MBAM. I'm getting the error 'MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING (5,0,CreateFile) Access is denied.' Same message that I received when I last tried to update it, and when I tried to update it about a month ago (doesn't seem to be virus related). Should I just uninstall and reinstall the program?

Edited by Nightingaling, 04 July 2011 - 09:07 AM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:16 AM

Hello, As I have company coming here today I may not get back here till later.
You did fine with the reboots.

Looks like you have run RKill and that's what it sees.

When you say that the passwords are stolen, do you mean from my computer user account specifically, or every account on the computer? (I have family members who have accounts as well, and some away on vacation that can't actually change the passwords right now. I'm afraid that if I leave them a third party may abuse the accounts, though...)

Better safe than sorry and change all.. You can run SAS from there acoounts and see if anything shows there first.

Post the MBAM when done and Then we'll run an online scan to save time as I will want one later any way. Then we'll see if rhere are hiddeen rootkits.

so actually we'll run it the other way around.

Please download the TDSS Rootkit Removing Tool (TDSSKiller.exe) and save it to your Desktop. <-Important!!!
Be sure to download TDSSKiller.exe (v2.5.8.0) from Kaspersky's website and not TDSSKiller.zip which appears to be an older version 2.3.2.2 of the tool.
  • Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it.
  • To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to How to change the file extension.
  • Click the Start Scan button.
  • Do not use the computer during the scan
  • If the scan completes with nothing found, click Close to exit.
  • If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.
  • Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
  • A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.4.0.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.

If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it. To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to these[/color] instructions. In some cases it may be necessary to redownload TDSSKiller and randomly rename it before downloading and saving to the computer.

Now...
I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check Posted Image and check Remove found threats
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Push Posted Image

[color="#8B0000"]NOTE: In some instances if no malware is found there will be no log produced.

Post the logs and tell how it's running.

You're welcome!
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Nightingaling

Nightingaling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:21 AM

All right, will do! I think I will just uninstall and reinstall MBAM, then, if the error I'm receiving doesn't seem to be infection-related.
Should I run these programs/scans from safe mode as well, or is a normal reboot fine? (Thanks again for being so thorough, I have a lot of questions, haha)

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:26 AM

Good idea.
1. Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware using Add/Remove programs in the control panel.
2. Restart your computer (very important).
3. Download and run this utility. Mbam clean
4. It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).
5. After the computer restarts, install the latest version from here. http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php
Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent.
Note: If using Free version, ignore the part about putting in your license key and activating.
Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration.
Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray and run a Quick Scan and post that log.

#7 Nightingaling

Nightingaling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:00 AM

Oh god, a backdoor... *crosses fingers* I scanned after updating and this new trojan came up. I rebooted the computer and did another scan, and it appears to have been removed. Should I continue on with the TDSS Rootkit Removing tool/online scan?

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.51.0.1200
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 7018

Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421

7/4/2011 10:51:13 AM
mbam-log-2011-07-04 (10-51-13).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 161798
Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 43 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
c:\Users\Emi\AppData\Roaming\dwm.exe (Trojan.Backdoor.Gen) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:58 PM

Hello. the backdoor means if you do any financials on here then a reformat will bee the only guarantee of true security.
Please consider this>>
One or more of the identified infections is a backdoor trojan.

This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and download and execute files.

I would counsel you to disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately. If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

Though the trojan has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Please read these for more information:

How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?
When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall

We can still clean this machine but I can't guarantee that it will be 100% secure afterwards. Let me know what you decide to do.

To clean continue from where you left off.

#9 Nightingaling

Nightingaling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:33 PM

Argh... I was hoping it wouldn't have to come for this. Well, I think the best idea would just to do a wipe and clean up the poor computer for good. Would doing a 'restore to factory condition' be the same thing as reformatting and reinstalling the operating system? The laptop was purchased with the OS already installed, and since we don't have a disk, I think that would be the only option.

I'm also concerned about the files my family and I have stored on the computer - mostly image and text files. Some of these are important and work related. Would it be safe in this case to use a memory stick or an external hard drive to back up these things before performing a wipe? I've read that as long as auto-play is disabled, most external backup methods should be safe, but I just want to be sure. I don't want a reinfection happening from transferring files back and forth.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:44 PM

Not an unwise decision to make. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. Wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS or doing a factory restore removes everything and is the safest action.

You can try to salvage some of the Data is that important to you. Only back up your important documents, personal data files, photos to a CD or DVD drive, not a flash drive or external hard drive as they may become compromised in the process. The safest practice is not to backup any executable files (*.exe), screensavers (*.scr), autorun (.ini) or script files (.php, .asp, .htm, .html, .xml ) files because they may be infected by malware. Avoid backing up compressed files (.zip, .cab, .rar) that have executables inside them as some types of malware can penetrate compressed files and infect the .exe files within them. Other types of malware may even disguise itself by hiding a file extension or adding to the existing extension as shown here (click Figure 1 to enlarge) so be sure you look closely at the full file name. If you cannot see the file extension, you may need to reconfigure Windows to show file name extensions. Then make sure you scan the backed up data with your anti-virus prior to to copying it back to your hard drive.

If your CD/DVD drive is unusable, another word of caution if you are considering backing up to an external usb hard drive as your only alternative. External drives are more susceptible to infection and can become compromised in the process of backing up data. I'm not saying you should not try using such devices but I want to make you aware of all your options and associated risks so you can make an informed decision if its worth that risk.Again, do not back up any files with the following file extensions: exe, .scr, .ini, .htm, .html, .php, .asp, .xml, .zip, .rar, .cab as they may be infected.

If you're not sure how to reformat or need help with reformatting, please review:These links include step-by-step instructions with screenshots:Vista users can refer to these instructions:Don't forget you will have to go to Microsoft Update and apply all Windows security patches after reformatting.

Note: If you're using an IBM, Sony, HP, Compaq or Dell machine, you may not have an original XP CD Disk. By policy Microsoft no longer allows OEM manufactures to include the original Windows XP CD-ROM on computers sold with Windows preinstalled. Instead, most computers manufactured and sold by OEM vendors come with a vendor-specific Recovery Disk or Recovery Partition for performing a clean "factory restore" that will reformat your hard drive, remove all data and restore the computer to the state it was in when you first purchased it. See Technology Advisory Recovery Media. If the recovery partition has become infected, you will need to contact the manufacturer, explain what happened and ask them to send full recovery disks to use instead..

If you need additional assistance with reformatting or partitioning, you can start a new topic in the Operating Systems Subforums forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users