Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sata drive not being detected

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BeepBeepRichie

BeepBeepRichie

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:46 PM

Hi I have a Windows 7 machine with a Biostar TF560 A2+ motherboard in it. I use the IDE slot for my HDD. My mother-in-law brought a PC to me that she had apparently messed up. She said she looked at it a couple days ago and it said it was defragmenting the HDD so she got scared and turned it off. Of course now the HDD is having issues. The PC was then unable to boot so she brought it over. I booted it into the recovery console and tried to reset it to factory settings as she said there was nothing on it she wanted saved. But during that process, I got a BSOD and the HDD never did anything again inside of that PC. I could no longer use the recovery or diagnosis options in the boot menu and BIOS never recognized it again.

I figured maybe it was because the HDD now needs to be formatted. So I took it out of the HP machine she has and put it in my computer. I have 4 SATA slots unused so I just went with #0. But the drive never shows. Sometimes in BIOS in SATA slot 0 instead of saying something like "no drive" it is literally blank like it is recognizing something there but not sure what. So if I boot to Windows 7 on my box and try to find the drive, I get nothing.

In my BIOS, I guess the SATA settings allow me to run the drive in IDE, RAID, or AHCI. The ONLY option that ever seems to do anything is AHCI. If I choose that, in device manager, I get 4 drives listed. My two drives, my attached thumb drive, and something that just says "drive" in device manager. But in the management snap-in, under disk management, there is nothing. And I can't do anything with the device in device manager.

And now it won't even show up if I put the SATA in AHCI mode. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BeepBeepRichie

BeepBeepRichie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:05 PM

Pics, got it showing in device manager again:

Posted Image

"disk drive" is the SATA drive.