Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Image editor for Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:57 PM

I'm using ubuntu 11.04 ( Gnome desktop ). I use Gimp, but I sometimes want to use an arrow to point to something when I post an image. I Googled about it, and it seems to be a major operation to get an arrow in Gimp.

Let me cite an example of what I want to do - - - I copied this from another thread here --

Posted Image

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 03 July 2011 - 06:39 PM

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of GIMP...the interface is way too complicated.

The easiest thing to do in this case (for me, at least) is to just draw an arrow manually using the paintbrush. It won't look as polished as an official arrow, but at least it's there.

You could also install another image editor (gnome-paint is good).
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:28 PM

If you're still using GIMP, I've uploaded a rather simple/barebones demonstration video that may help you out with regards to drawing arrows:

I didn't record any voice, so if you need me to explain anything, I can post it here.

Edited by MadDawg, 03 July 2011 - 07:28 PM.

A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:40 PM

Creative Commons artwork search.... (why reinvent the wheel?) http://search.creativecommons.org/

Also just open a new image in gimp and select the pencil tool, click where you want to start, hold "shift", and then click where you want the line to end. Gimp will draw a straight line between the 2 points, repeat as necessary for creating the arrow. When finished transform white(color) to alpha (make the white background transparent) then Edit->select all, Copy. Then in the image you wish to add it to Edit->Paste as Layer.

Posted Image

#5 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:14 AM

Thank you for the replies, I'll play around with the ideas and see which works best for me.

Keith

#6 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:45 PM

Thanks again for all the information, I have it saved. As I only need the arrow occasionally, I think the click-shift-click will work fine for me. The majority of the editing I do is just to scale or crop images.

I did happen across a program which seems to be pretty easy to understand and use, it's called Inkscape ( it's in SPM ). I'm going to use it for awhile to see if I like it better than Gimp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users