Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista only runs in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Abrunn11

Abrunn11

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:52 PM

This past Monday ,I seemed to contract a virus, my computer was running slow, I was getting a lot of pop-ups and I was getting re-directed in Google. I ran MBAM, SAS and tdsskiller and quarantined what was found. After I rebooted I got the BSOD after the "welcome" screen. I rebooted in Safe Mode and everything ran fine. I ran MBAM, SAS and tdsskiller again and nothing was found, I rebooted again and got the BSOD again in normal mode.

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:44 PM

Hello, if all the malware is gone then try resetting to a date before the infections started.
Windows Vista System Restore Guide

If you still have problems,then see How to automatically repair Windows Vista using Startup Repair
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Abrunn11

Abrunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:13 PM

Can you do a system restore in Safe Mode? It asks me if I want to do a restore offline even though I have safe Mode with Networking running.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,917 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:30 PM

System restore isn't working
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Abrunn11

Abrunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:18 PM

I am trying to boot from the DVD but it does not give me the "Repair Your Computer" option at the Install Now screen.

#6 Abrunn11

Abrunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:31 PM

This is a list of everything (that I can remember) I have tried;

chkdsk /f - This does not run. It says; "The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. chkdsk cannot run because the volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? I click Y and nothing happens on restart.

System Restore - This does not work. I pick a date it says "System Restore did not complete successfully. You Computer's system files and setting were not changes.

Details:

System Restore failed due an unspecified error.
The parameter in incorrect (0x80070057)

Repair Computer - I click on the "Repair Computer" button under the F8 options and it takes me to a log-in screen. I put in my username and password and it says it is incorrect. I cannot get past this screen.

I have run MBAM, SAS, tdsskiller, and GMER.

The computer ALWAYS BSOD's with a 0x8 error whenever I try to log on in Normal Mode. I never have an issue in Safe Mode. I tried to disable all of the startup and services in msconfig, hoping that one of them was causing the error, but to no avail.

I have tried to boot from last know good configuration only to get the BSOD

I have tried to boot from DVD, to no avail

I have tried to re-install my OS, when I get to Step 2 - Expanding Files, I get "Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart installation.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,917 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:58 PM

Hello, the best answer I got was.. If it's a custom OEM install disc, it's possible they removed it (for whatever reason).

Aside from that, I don't know of another reason why it would be missing.

I think you will need to do a reinstall,too many corruptions. I think there is still a infection too,but that willl also go with the install. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. Wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS or doing a factory restore removes everything and is the safest action.

Backup your data.. 2 guidelines/rules when backing up

1) Backup all your important data files, pictures, music, work etc... and save it onto an external hard-drive. These files usually include .doc, .txt, .mp3, .jpg etc...
2) Do not backup any executables files or any window files. These include .exe/.scr/.htm/.html/.xml/.zip/.rar files as they may contain traces of malware. Also, .html or .htm files that are webpages should also be avoided.

I believe the next best thing is to ask in Vista how you can reinstall..

Copy your last post here there.

Edited by boopme, 06 July 2011 - 06:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users