Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video graphics Display

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 atlantamiki1

atlantamiki1

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:52 PM

Since yesterday I am having problems with my video/monitor graphics. (I have a specs report below, if that helps)

My problem:
1. The graphics of the windows are too big. The aspect ratios are out of scale for my screen.
2. Changing the resolution to 1152X 864 doesnít help. I donít have the large icons checkbox selected.
3. My startup and taskbar are not visible. Not even if I use the windows key on the keyboard.
4. My cursor veers out of visibility range on my screen.

Some things that are different since yesterday:

I started having problems with my McAfee disabling itself. A technician worked with me through a complete removal and reinstallation. He used remote access to make some changes, including internet settings that prevented automatic updates.

After resolving that issue, I rebooted and the monitor resolution changed by itself to the lowest setting ( like 640X280) or something like that. Thatís when the aspect ratios went out of proportion too. I couldnít change the settings just by going through the display properties dialog box.

My former roommate had installed some hardware so I could set my television up as a second monitor. I moved about 2 months ago, so he removed the hardware. Yesterday, after I rebooted from the McAfee incident and got the poor resolution, I thought the NVDIA software components were unnecessary so I used ADD/Remove Programs to uninstall the NVDIA graphics software.
The desktop resolution returned to normal but the aspect ratios were still out of proportion. When I rebooted, I got a New Hardware Installation Wizard dialog box about a VGA Controller so I tried to follow up with it, but it said it was unable to complete the installation. This happened a few times, so I reinstalled NVDIA, my screen went completely blank, and I had to go into safe mode to uninstall it again. the Wizard dialog box stopped popping up, but I am still experiencing problems 1-4.

I deleted an NVIDIA folder lingering in a personal folder, but that may have been a mistake too.

I also tried looking for any updated drivers but the one in the report is a few numbers higher than the one they offered, so I didnít replace it.

Ahhhhhhhhh, please help. Hopefully I didnít overwhelm you with details, but I know I forgot something I may have done last night. What to do?

Now I guess I am using the Intel Graphics is the default monitor setting. Here is some system and monitor info:

INTEL® EXTREME GRAPHICS 2 REPORT
Report Date: 07/03/2011
Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 12:21:36
Driver Version: 6.14.10.4396
Operating System: Windows XP* Home Edition, Service Pack 3 (5.1.2600)
Default Language: English
DirectX* Version: 9.0
Physical Memory: 1021 MB
Minimum Graphics Memory: 0 MB
Maximum Graphics Memory: 96 MB
Graphics Memory in Use: 7 MB
Processor: x86
Processor Speed: 2394 MHZ
Vendor ID: 8086
Device ID: 2572
Device Revision: 02
* Accelerator Information *
Accelerator in Use: Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller
Video BIOS: Not Available
Current Graphics Mode: 1152 by 864 True Color (60 Hz)

* Other names and brands are the property of their respective owners.

At the beginning of the boot, I see some information about NVIDIA GeforceZ MX-400 VGA BIOS. So does that mean, I goofed, and deleted important software? Can I retrieve it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:20 PM

I would uninstall the current video drivers...then reinstall same.

Louis

#3 atlantamiki1

atlantamiki1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:32 PM

Thanks for your advice Louis,
I know nothing about how to go about this. Should I try to do this safe mode? I don't know if the drivers that are installed are the one(s) I should use or if I should try to search for something else, and I'm not sure where the drive(s) folder are located.

Thanks again,
Miki

Also, I just visited the Intel Graphic site, where it made an automatic analysis report of the drives I have:

Graphics Driver
Product Detected Intel® 865G
Current Driver Installed 6.14.10.4396
A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer.
Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility (Chipset INF)
Product Detected Intel® 6, 5, 4, 3, 900 Series Chipsets
Current Version Installed 5.00.1012
This version is valid.
Audio Driver for Intel Desktop Board
Product Detected Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
Current Driver Installed 5.1.2535.0
This device is unknown or unsupported. Please contact the manufacturer for possible updates. More information>>
Wireless Networking (WiFi)

Edited by atlantamiki1, 03 July 2011 - 06:23 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:26 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Motherboard manufacturer and model?

Louis

#5 atlantamiki1

atlantamiki1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:43 AM

Good Morning.

I'm not sure about the motherboard info, but I have a Dell 3000 series. I looked in system info but couldn't find info on the motherboard. My ex-roommate had to rebuild my machine last summer because it completely broke down, but I don't think he replaced too many internal parts. He did supplement my RAM with 1G which replaced my 512MB.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:02 AM

OK, thnaks :).

Did he replace the motherboard? Is the one which originally came with the system...in the system?

Louis

#7 atlantamiki1

atlantamiki1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:46 PM

ok, i googled how to find the motherboard info:

is this it?

Board: Dell Computer Corp. 0N6381
Serial Number: ..CN481114A4002R.
Bus Clock: 533 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A01 08/24/2004

Edited by atlantamiki1, 04 July 2011 - 03:04 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:58 PM

I repeat...is the original motherboard...currently in the system?

The data you provided applies to the original motherboard. If the motherboard was replaced, that data may not necessarily apply.

XP Drivers Per Dell

The first video driver listed would apply to what you have provided, http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R106458&SystemID=DIM_CEL_3000&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=11167&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=6&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=137459 .

Louis

#9 atlantamiki1

atlantamiki1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:36 PM

Yeah , I'm not sure, and my former roommate is RIP. I'm guessing and hoping he didn't have to replace the motherboard. My current graphics driver is x.4396 which is an update from the one dell offers and I'm not sure how I got this update. If I remember, I may have clicked on a search for updates, got a dialog box, but in order to uninstall and reinstall this, I need to know where this drive folder is, and I really don't.

Ummm, can I ask,are you my guru on this subject or am I just imposing my vulnerabilities on someone who just happened over here by accident?

Thanks for your support either way.

Edited by atlantamiki1, 04 July 2011 - 04:57 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:03 PM

This is a forum...there are no "gurus", no assigned topics, just voluntary suggestions/comments by members :).

When I see topics ignored or otherwise unanswered, I try to keep them active until someone with a beter idea/clue comes along. Sometimes I come up with solutions, sometimes not :).

Louis

#11 holmesnmanny

holmesnmanny

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:38 PM

You can boot into "safe mode with networking" which will only boot up default drivers but you can still surf the internet. I would do that and then try to download the correct drivers for your monitor. Save it to your desktop, then uninstall any drivers in the control panel that don't work with your current monitor. Then reboot again in safe mode with networking and reinstall the correct drivers.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:22 PM

FWIW: Monitors haven't required drivers to be installed...for many a year now, they are plug-and-play.

Louis

#13 atlantamiki1

atlantamiki1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:15 PM

spooky. i was just looking that question up. I used to have hardware that supported my comp. monitor and the television I hooked it up to. Now I understand why there was an icon for SP7106 because that was for the monitor. Now that I deleted/uninstalled the NVIDIA software, it seems I've lost those monitor settings. I set the monitor to provide information after adjustments. its says it's displaying a 640X480 resolution even though I adjusted the resolution to 1152X840 thru the control panel.

I did try to install and uninstall the drivers, which helped the icon graphics go back to a normal size for a minute, but the start menu and taskbar are still missing. So I started fidgeting with the monitor settings the H.OSD and V.OSD then everything else including the "clock" and "phase" then I got the a message about the resolution being defaulted to 640X480.

maybe i need the software for the NVIDIA anyway?

#14 holmesnmanny

holmesnmanny

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:37 PM

FWIW: Monitors haven't required drivers to be installed...for many a year now, they are plug-and-play.

Louis

That's correct. I don't know why I said monitor drivers. I meant graphics drivers. I have had problems with ATI display drivers before and this is where I get my experience from. I don't even remember how I got my current setup to work, but I know I'm using Omega drivers to make it work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users