Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloned HDD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 polaris6

polaris6

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:23 PM

I have been dealing with this issue for the past few weeks.

I have two PC Dell laptops, a D600 with an 80 GB HD(Fujistu)and a D610 with a 120 GB HD (Hitachi)with XP Pro installed. The 80 GB HD is 90% full and I would like to transfer the contents of the 80 GB HD to the 120 GB HD; in effect, I would like to clone the 80 to the 120.

Simple enough, right, Wrong from my recent experience.

I have Norton Ghost 9, 2003, Acronis Home Edition 10, and XXClone.

Everythng I have read, and all the claims I read agree that cloning to an upgradeed HD is possible, and I believe it...so long as the upgraded HD is installed on the same computer that is being cloned. My recent experience appears to support this ascertation.

I cloned (with XXClone and Norton Ghost 9)the 80 GB HD to the 120 and it wouldn't run on the 120 GB Dell 610, but it will run (boot up) on the 80 GB D600. When I view the cloned HD, I see all the files; when I try to boot up with that HD in the D610, I get the 'blue screen of death'. It is apparent that the MBR/Boot Sector/ini files are not
being transferred. The 120 GB HD functioned as expected before the cloning process took place, i.e., it had a copy of XP installed and I had most, if not all of the drivers installed prior to the cloning.

My question is, in seeking help here, is what I am trying to do impossible? I can't believe that, but apparently cloning a HD for installation on to another computer, is not a simple task.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:32 PM

I'm not sure what you are trying to do. Are you trying to clone from one computer to another or are you moving the 120 Gb hd to the system that had the 80 Gb?

#3 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:23 PM

I am trying to clone what is on the 80 GB HD (Dell D600) to the 120 GB Dell D610 computer.

I want the D610 computer to have on it what is on the D600 computer + about 50 GB more storage space.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:31 PM

You can't copy a hd from one system to a different one and expect the system to boot. The OS expects to see the hw from the original system. When it doesn't, it will balk and generally display a blue screen error.

HOWEVER...... Acronis True Image Plus Pack offers an option to create an image on one system and restore it to another.

Edited by Allan, 03 July 2011 - 01:31 PM.

#5 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:40 PM

Thank you.

I bought Acronis Home Edition 2010...wouldn't you know, I missed it by a year.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:08 AM

I believe the plus pack for 2010 has the same feature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users