Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Choosing The Right Pc

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GaminNeo

GaminNeo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:12 PM

Hi, i found about 3 computers that are pretty cheap both $399(CA) for the first two and $339 for the second one. They each have their advantages and disadvantages over each other so i am wondering which one would be better for me. Ill be using it for internet,chatting,gaming, and work.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.a...ogon=&langid=EN Processor Type AMD Sempron 3100+
Processor Speed 1.8GHz
RAM 512MB DDR SDRAM (Exp. To 2GB)
Hard Drive 160GB 7200RPM
Optical Drives Dual Layer 16X DVD+/-RW
Graphics Card Integrated SIS Mirage2 Graphics
Available Expansion Bays 1 x 3.5", 1 x 5.25"
Available Expansion Slots 2 x PCI
Cache 256KB
Disk Drive No
Fax/Modem 56K V.90
I/O Ports See The Features Section
Included Software See The Features Section
Monitor Included? Monitor Not Included
Network Card 10/100 Ethernet
Other Control Devices Compaq Scroller Mouse, Compaq Keyboard
Preloaded Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Sound Card Integrated Sound Card
Speakers No
System Bus 1600MHz

and 2.....
http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config...00_FEAT_CH11P11
-didnt give me a copy-able list so i have to give the link to show all its features

and 3 http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.a...582&catid=20217 Processor Type Intel Celeron D 335
Processor Speed 2.80GHz
RAM 256MB DDR SDRAM PC2700 (Exp. To 2GB)
Hard Drive 80GB
Optical Drives CDRW/DVD-ROM Combo
Graphics Card Intel Extreme Graphics 2
Available Expansion Bays 3 x 3.5", 1 x 5.25"
Available Expansion Slots Info Not Available
Cache 256KB
Disk Drive No
Fax/Modem 56K V.92
I/O Ports See The Features Section
Included Software See The Features Section
Monitor Included? Monitor Not Included
Network Card 10/100 Ethernet
Other Control Devices See The Features Section
Preloaded Operating System XP Home SP2
Sound Card Intel AC 97
Speakers Amplified Stereo Speakers
System Bus 533MHz

(I will most liekly be changing the graphics card when i get more money and possibly adding more RAM because i was thinking about using my next PC to play Games (a few pc games like DiabloII,Halo TRAIL) and emulators like N64 and VBA.. also chatting and homework. So basically old computer games/ emulators. Also browsing the web and IMing.Hopefully you guys can help me out here in picking the right one... i know the motherboards must be really ****py on the eMachines but i dont have over $500 CAD to spend

If you guys do suggest that i pick up one of these computers, then do you think the graphics card and RAM can keep me going for a while? I always read over posts on these forums and i know that i have alot of questions compared to others. Hopefully you guys can save me here. Sorry for asking too much. Thanks a bunch.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 01:17 AM

For $400 I think the Dell is a good choice. I do think a Video upgrade is a must. Make sure that it ships with the System Restore Disks. The files on the hidden partition can be corrupted by virus'. System disks should be part of the deal, even if you have to pay for them. IMHO
I'm bias, I like Dells and have had bad experience with Compaq.

Good luck

Edited by acklan, 11 January 2006 - 01:18 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 GaminNeo

GaminNeo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:33 PM

Oh isee. Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about getting that Dell too, who knows about the mobo's on the other two.. probably crap. Anyone else have any suggestions?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:54 AM

Just keep in mind you get what you pay for. Buy cheap get cheap. They have to use fewer features and hardware for verious reasons, like royalties, componants, labor.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users