Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Peppermint Two not installing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:41 AM

Just wanted to see if anyone has had the same problem with this, or knows someone who has.

I'm trying to install to an Acer Aspire One netbook. I've installed a lot of different distros on this, including Peppermint One, Peppermint Ice, several Mint versions, etc. None has given me any problems that weren't distro related. So I know the hardware isn't the problem.

I start the installer and go through choosing US English. After that, I get a screen that tells me to make sure i have an internet connection and the power stays connected. I hit the Continue button and it just sits there. The busy cursor stays busy, but it never goes past there (left it several hours on one attempt). This has happened multiple times.

I've unplugged everything external excepting the keyboard and mouse. No change

I looked through the forum for the distro and saw install problems, but none like mine. I looked here and saw nothing like that as well. I'm already a member here, so I decided to ask here first. If I don't solve it in a day or two, I'll join the other forum and see if there's anyone that knows what it might be.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:15 PM

Stiltskin - I downloaded the .iso for it , and I have the live cd burning on my other machine right now. I'll see if it installs ( on an older desktop ) shortly. I'll post back my results in a little while.

#3 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:37 PM

Installed ok for me on a desktop - I downloaded the .iso from here ( first option ) - http://peppermintos.com/download/

#4 stiltskin

stiltskin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:01 AM

I didn't try burning it to a CD because it's going on the netbook. But it runs OK. I get the desktop, everything works, etc. It just won't install.

I'm off tomorrow. Maybe I can find time to try to figure it out.

#5 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:00 PM

Something just came to mind, probably irrelevant to your problem, but I'll go ahead and post it anyway. A couple of weeks ago I tried to install Ubuntu 11.04 on a USB stick ( just because I wanted to try something new ). I don't remember where I downloaded the .iso from, but when I tried to install it on the stick it said something to the effect that "there is no installer present". So I found the correct download at the Ubuntu site, and it installed just fine then. Just wanted to toss this info in.

#6 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:21 PM

Stiltskin,

did you verify the hash to make sure your download isn't corrupt?

also i would like to add that in my experiences, linux distros install about half the time. it's only my opinion, but a major factor is the hardware detection stage of the installation. i would assume that drivers are loaded and if something goes wrong, the install fails.
i've also found that the more ram i have, the better the odds get.

#7 stiltskin

stiltskin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:17 PM

I didn't check the hash, but it loads to the desktop. Only rarely have I had a problem after getting that far and getting the installer started (usually it's a problem with the install script itself when I get that far with it). But I suppose that could be the problem.

Being a netbook, I'm fixed hard at 2G memory (thank you so much, Microsoft). I've topped that out.

The drivers definitely get loaded. Wifi is connected. The display is set properly. The keyboard and mouse work.

I've had few installers bomb out, and when they did it was always further on, like at partitioning, or when copying files. They were also nearly always Ubuntu or offshoots. Peppermint is an offshoot of Mint, which is an offshoot of Ubuntu.

I just thought of something. It was on the point of drivers. I have the touchpad turned off completely to avoid accidentally doing things I don't want. Since I rarely use it anyway, preferring a mouse instead, I never thought about it. Maybe that's what's making the installer stop while trying to figure out what's going on. It never did it before because of that, but it's worth checking out.

Thanks for spurring another line of thinking.

#8 stiltskin

stiltskin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:21 PM

Something just came to mind, probably irrelevant to your problem, but I'll go ahead and post it anyway. A couple of weeks ago I tried to install Ubuntu 11.04 on a USB stick ( just because I wanted to try something new ). I don't remember where I downloaded the .iso from, but when I tried to install it on the stick it said something to the effect that "there is no installer present". So I found the correct download at the Ubuntu site, and it installed just fine then. Just wanted to toss this info in.

I get the installer running. It just stops dead after running it through a couple of pages. Plus, I downloaded directly from the Peppermint site.

I'll download it again, check the md5sum, turn on the touchpad and try another round.

Thanks.

#9 stiltskin

stiltskin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:48 AM

This time it worked. I didn't even bother downloading the iso again. I turned on the touchpad, booted into it, started the installer and it installed without a hitch. I'm using it now.

Now to report it as a bug. since it should be able to move on if it has trouble finding one or another piece of hardware.

Edited by stiltskin, 05 July 2011 - 12:49 AM.

#10 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:16 PM

thanks for reporting back with the solution. that is good net-etiquette. :)

another thing i do that increases my chances for success is run d-ban. it's kind of tricky how to use it. if you use the 'autonuke' option, it may not do the quality wipe (usually 10 hours) that is most beneficial.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users