Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Associations in Win 7

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gazzooks

gazzooks

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:15 AM

I have tried every way possible in Win 7 to set up a file association with '.pub' files and Microsoft Publisher, with no luck.

Normally under 'Control Panel' - 'Default Programs' - 'Set associations' you can browse for program and when selected you can make it the default progrm for the particular extension. I simply can not select the MS Publisher executable for association - it is just ignored. I suspect this may be a registry issue but am not sure where and how to fix it.

B)
cheers
gazzooks

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. (Winston Churchill)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 03 July 2011 - 06:59 AM

According to this wiki article & other (limited) info I've read on M$ Publisher It's like Micro$lop's version of "Who's on First?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Publisher

>>>Publisher's proprietary file format (.pub) is unsupported by almost all other applications, including other Microsoft products, although Corel Draw X4 features "open only" support. As such, Publisher is generally recognised to be of limited functionality where multiple-user electronic editing or dissemination is concerned. Adobe's PageMaker software saves files with a .pub extension but the two files are not readable by the other program - Microsoft's program cannot read PageMaker .pub files, nor can PageMaker read a Publisher file; they are different formats in spite of the extension similarity. Publisher supports numerous other file formats, including the Enhanced Metafile (EMF) format which is supported on Windows platforms. The Microsoft Publisher trial version can be used to view .pub files beyond the trial period <<<

This may help some: Where is the Publisher viewer? http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher-help/where-is-the-publisher-viewer-HA010233906.aspx

>>>Microsoft Office Publisher 2007 does not provide a free, downloadable viewer for opening and viewing Publisher (.pub) files. If you want to send a publication, or if you receive a publication in e-mail, you have some options<<<

Edited by Union_Thug, 03 July 2011 - 07:01 AM.

#3 gazzooks

gazzooks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:00 PM

Additional information - my friend can open her '.pub' files by running Publisher and then 'File - Open' but in no way by normal methods can I set up a file association for '.pub' files other than with Notepad, Wordpad or Windows Media Player. Very puzzling????
:smash:

Edited by gazzooks, 03 July 2011 - 05:01 PM.

cheers
gazzooks

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. (Winston Churchill)

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:08 PM

Have you tried right-clicking on a .pub file and selecting "open with", "select default", "choose program", and "always use selected program...."?

#5 gazzooks

gazzooks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:28 PM

Thanks Allan - have tried that and setting up associations in Control panel - Default Programs but just can't get MS Publisher to be recognised by the system. I have never srtuck this problem before - I suspect that there is some registry setting that may be doing this but can't find one if it is.
B)
cheers
gazzooks

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:29 PM

Did this just start or has it always been this way?

Have you tried a repair installation of MS Office (or Publisher if it's a standalone app)?

#7 gazzooks

gazzooks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:36 PM

It started from initial installion of Publisher 2007. I have done a repair install and even an uninstall and reinstall and problem is still there. It is only a 3 month old ASUS laptop with Win 7 32bit on it. It is a standalone Publisher.
B)
cheers
gazzooks

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:09 AM

Strange. Well, I'm at a loss - sorry.

#9 KrevNasty

KrevNasty

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:22 PM

I saw the same exact problem on a client computer. You were right in suspecting the registry. I ran a CCleaner registry scan and then I was able to associate the pub files with MS Publisher. You can download CCleaner from www.piriform.com.

#10 gazzooks

gazzooks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:34 AM

Thanks New Member but that was one of the first things I tried. I have tried several registry fiwers but with no luck. I also did some searches of registry to find entries for publisher and compared them to registry entries of applications that are working.
B)
cheers
gazzooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users