Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hdd failing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 seminolemartin

seminolemartin

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:59 PM

Anyone know of a good Free Hdd repair program?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,584 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:03 PM

What is the exact problem you are having?

#3 seminolemartin

seminolemartin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:06 PM

I believe that it is bad sectors and windows 7 keeps telling me to back up data. I have no data on the hd i was going to use it for backup storage only. Seatools is also telling me that the drive is failing short and long tests.

Edited by seminolemartin, 02 July 2011 - 04:10 PM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,584 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:16 PM

You should replace the drive as soon as possible. If you want to attempt to repair use checkdisk (see below), but as I said, I'd replace it now:

To run checkdisk, right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:04 PM

I believe that it is bad sectors and windows 7 keeps telling me to back up data. I have no data on the hd i was going to use it for backup storage only. Seatools is also telling me that the drive is failing short and long tests.

I am just a bit curious why you think it can be repaired. It is junk. I wouldn't trust any data on that drive.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 seminolemartin

seminolemartin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:31 PM

Seatools say that they can repair some of their HD and maxtors? Recently i have had a drive failing that seatools was able to repair. At first the drive failed the short and long test. After the repair it is now passing both long and short.

#7 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:17 PM

if you problem is physical bad sector then there is no software could fix it.
software only could make some bypass on hardrive cluster that have bad sector so it will not be reading when hardrive is in use.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,584 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:23 PM

Seatools say that they can repair some of their HD and maxtors? Recently i have had a drive failing that seatools was able to repair. At first the drive failed the short and long test. After the repair it is now passing both long and short.

It's your system, do as you wish. Personally, I'd replace the drive and move on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users