Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop connects to web but not to Homegroup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Alan in Toledo

Alan in Toledo

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:38 PM

I'm running a 3-station LAN (2 desktops, 1 laptop) all running Win7 and Webroot Internet Security Complete (all software -- system and applications -- is fully up-to-date) through an Apple Airport Express wireless router. My settings are consistent throughout (home network, same workgroup, advanced sharing settings).

The two desktops are members of the same Homegroup. The problem is with the laptop. Even though it accesses the web with no problem, it doesn't see the two desktops and can't ping either of them or the router!

I have administrative rights on all three PCs while my wife has standard rights on her desktop and the laptop.

One strange condition occurs in Windows Explorer where, under the Network heading in the left column, the laptop appears in from both desktop PCs (but won't expand) while neither desktop appears from the laptop.

I'm pretty resourceful and persistent (this condition has existed for several months) but this has me stumped.

Suggestions appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alan in Toledo

Alan in Toledo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:30 AM

Solved! It turns out that the Webroot firewall on the laptop failed to configure itself to recognize the (unusual) address of the Airport Express router (10.0.1.0).

Address changed manually and all is well.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,280 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:20 AM

Thanks for letting us know...happy computing :).

Louis

#4 soflanetworking

soflanetworking

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:21 PM

Solved! It turns out that the Webroot firewall on the laptop failed to configure itself to recognize the (unusual) address of the Airport Express router (10.0.1.0).

Address changed manually and all is well.

Glad you figured it out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users