Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan on laptop driving me nuts!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 quisait

quisait

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:04 PM

Evening all

First, thank you to the folks who helped me with the Windows Vista Virus.

Now, an issue I've been having for a while is that the fan on my laptop seems to be running quite high most of the time. I know that you do need the fan running but having something akin to a 747 under your fingertips is not something I look for.

What could it be? How can I fix it?

Thanks!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:50 PM

The Normal reason for the fan racing is that the CPU is running hot.

Some laptops the fan is easy to get at and makes it easy to clean the heat sink. Some if you pull the keyboard you can see the fan and then blow out the heat sink.

Some you need to remove the top cover....

Keep in mind that you need to blow the air in from the outside to reverse the airflow. Blow back and forth until the heat sink is clean.

The make and model of the laptop would also help with more targeted directions. Having the Fan race like that is shortening the fan life and the extra heat is shortening other components life too.

Another cause I've seen, On my own Toshiba at that, is a problem with the heat pipe that brings the heat from the CPU to the Heat sink fins.

Mine was spotless but the fan kept racing up and down. Changing the heat sink assembly cured that. Fortunately the part was cheap from Toshiba as a repair center and I have the skills to fix it.

One thing to do is not keep using it as you are shortening life on many parts that way.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 quisait

quisait
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:08 AM

Well, the interesting thing is that when Windows is first started, it's fine. But whe I start using things like IE then it starts. It's even worse if I am running Photoshop.

My laptop is by Packard Bell. Not sure what the model is. I bought it in 2008/ 2009.

I don't really want to open up my laptop. I need it as part of my work and being self-employed it's like a part of me.

#4 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:56 PM

When you put a load on the CPU i.e running photoshop it creates more heat... which is why it will get worse when you are actually using it vs just booting it up. Now, I do not suggest opening the laptop unless you are 100% comfortable with doing so.. alot can go wrong if you don't have the experience. My suggestion would be to purchase a cooling pad for the computer and see if that helps keep it cool and make sure there isn't any dust clogging up the vent/fan on the bottom and side of the computer.. You can use an air can to blow it out if there is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users