Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't delete document files/reappear after reboot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 frmarine

frmarine

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:19 AM

XP-SP3 : I think i have 2 separate problems here. The first one is a firefox problem about deleted bookmarks reappearing & each days history disappearing after a reboot. I'm working on that. Don't know if it has anything to do with the 2nd one, maybe. I delete programs that i've downloaded in docs & after a reboot, they magically reappear & files i save in docs since this started, disappear. Also, my desktop icons are being switched around after i've put them in order after a reboot. I use firefox 3.6.18 to download these programs, so it may have something to do with the programs reappearing in docs/downloads after a reboot, who knows. I have alot of security programs on here that are all compatible with each other. This isn't a malware problem either as i have run scans & nothing comes up. Malware/trojans try to steal info, not move your icons around & make files reappear. I just added memory 5 days ago from Crucial Memory, although i doubt that has anything to do with this. These problems just started a few days ago. I can't figure out whats going on. Never had these problems before. THANX for your time/help anyone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:33 AM

>>> I just added memory 5 days ago from Crucial Memory, although I doubt that has anything to do with this. These problems just started a few days ago. I can't figure out whats going on. Never had these problems before<<<

Seems more than a coincidence to me, IMO, although any speculation as to WHY these events may be related to the new RAM would be less than educated guesses on my part, but I would revert back to the "old" RAM setup you had and see what occurs.

I'm sure someone more expert in these type issues than myself (**cough cough** Louis, Allan, cryptodan**cough cough**) will be by shortly to offer more assistance.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:24 AM

FWIW: I've never known deleted files to reappear...if anything, it's the disappearance of such that would be more indicative of a problem.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter.

Type Y in new screen and hit Enter.

Reboot the system.

The command will execute and then boot into Windows. If any onscreen error message comes up indicating that chkdsk /r cannot complete, please write it down and post same.

Do you have any "optimizer/registry scanner/fixer" software on your system?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users