Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen at start-up after canceling disk check by manual reboot

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 andrewset

andrewset

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:40 AM

My Windows 7 needs help getting past a blue screen at start-up after I restarted during a slow diskcheck I scheduled. The screen suggests disabling or uninstalling any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. It says to run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart the computer. I already tried safe mode but even that gives me the same blue screen. I assume the computer wants me to continue the disk check it started, but how? Restarting doesn't continue the disk check because it's been canceled with ESC. Is there any way for me to enter a command prompt so that I can type CHKDSK /F? I just want to cancel any problems causing this blue screen, whether that means forcing a disk check somehow or turning it off somehow. The STOP number is 0x00000024
Thanks

Edit: I don't know what to do.

Edited by andrewset, 02 July 2011 - 01:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:33 PM

You can try booting to the W7 dvd and running startup repair options, but interrupting checkdisk scans is dangerous and the ability to recover without reinstalling the OS is not guaranteed.

#3 andrewset

andrewset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:44 PM

You can try booting to the W7 dvd and running startup repair options, but interrupting checkdisk scans is dangerous and the ability to recover without reinstalling the OS is not guaranteed.

None of the Windows 7 disk's recovery options work because of reasons like: It can't detect any hard drives (I have some sort of a mirrored RAID array thing going that the computer came with where one of two 500gb drives mirrors the other, in the case of a physical fault with one), it can't detect an OS, the disk I want to chkdsk is write-protected, etc. Options I've tried in the past 4hrs or so that also found ways to not work include running boot disks that are supposed to allow me to chkdsk.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:52 PM

I guess you can try a repair install: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

#5 andrewset

andrewset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:57 PM

I guess you can try a repair install: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

That's one of the things I already tried that didn't work, from that same page. The problem is that a Repair Install can only be done when an OS is already loaded, and I can't figure out a way to load my Win7 OS. Any attempt at loading it, even in Safe Mode, gets the STOP I described in the 1st post. I was even almost going to give up and reinstall the OS from scratch (it takes me almost a week to get all my drivers and programs back together from my back-up, so I avoid a complete reinstall at all costs) but even then it can't detect drivers, drives, or an OS. The RAID mirror array probably makes it complicated to detect a hard drive, but I'm unsure if I should mess with it because I don't have a floppy disk I remember having that contained the drivers for the array and even if I found it online this laptop I'm on doesn't have a floppy drive.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 02:02 PM

Okay, gotcha. Unfortunately I'm far from an expert when it comes to raid setups so I suggest you wait for someone more knowledgeable than I to respond. Sorry I can't be of more help and good luck with the system.

#7 andrewset

andrewset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 02:08 PM

Thanks. I don't expect Raid setups to necessarily be a major factor in this though, since I think I'm in essence just trying to continue the interrupted scandisk procedure. It looks like stopping a scandisk puts you in a worse situation than before the scandisk (I ran it only because a relatively minor blue screen that occasionally happens recommended the scandisk).

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 02:29 PM

Yes, interrupting checkdisk scans is very dangerous (hasn't been scandisk for a couple of Windows editions :) ).You can download and run the hd diagnostic from your hd manufacturer's website - it's worth a shot.

Edited by Allan, 02 July 2011 - 02:30 PM.

#9 andrewset

andrewset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 02:33 PM

I don't think I have a HD problem, I think I'm just trying to find a fix for a simple problem: canceling a scandisk.

#10 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 02 July 2011 - 02:42 PM

See if anything in this link can help http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-0.4x-HOWTO-4.html
I think your problem is due to the RAID set up.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#11 andrewset

andrewset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:33 PM

It looks like it's working!!! What I did is on my laptop (other computer) I went and Googled the drivers for my Raid (RocketRaid 172x), burned them to a CD, and in Win7 Repair where it couldn't find my hard drives I then used the CD for its driver, and even though it still didn't cause my hard drive to show up in the list, the first option in the recovery console, Fix errors automatically, ended up working, which it didn't before the Raid driver! It scanned for only about 10min and then rebooted correctly. Thanks everyone! 8hrs of research and trial and error passed before a plan finally worked. :)

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:39 PM

Good for you!! Glad you're up and running. Great job Jacee :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users