Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

S L O W Computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shiester41

shiester41

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 07:59 PM

i have a sony viao laptop. i have updated mcafee, spyware, adware programs. my computer takes forever to start up. when im in the task manager i have 38-39 items when i start up. can anyone help with what programs i need to only have to start my computer? so i can get rid of the rest. or maybe there is something else i am doing wrong

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Computer Wizard

Computer Wizard

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 10 January 2006 - 09:05 PM

You most likely only need the McAffe starting up. Or if you have a piece of hardware that needs a resident program to work properly (E.g a wireless adapter).

I assume that you have no virus or worm on your computer.

What you can do is start MSConfig. (Start -> Run -> type MSConfig) and check what's starting up in the startup menu. You will probably have a long list. Uncheck everything except what you know you absolutely need to get started every time. The truth is anything that's in the startup list can be started after you are logged in, if needed, but each program likes to put itself in the startup.

Also look into the services tab also and click on the "hide microsoft services" and see what's left. Here also you can probably disable a couple of things but these are usually more relevant to proper working of the system than the startup items.

After you made the changes restart the computer and see whether it speeded up or not.

There is always a chance that McAffee itself slows down the system. I had a client who also had a slow computer and I traced it down to McAffee. It's a hefty program using a lot of memory and CPU - especially in the beginning when it does the initial scans. If your computer is not powerful enough then it will get sloooow.

You can also try unchecking everything in the startup list and the non-microsoft services, and see how it goes. You can always put them back if you find that something is not working properly.

If that doesn't help, or you see that something puts itself back in the startup list then your computer is infected.

And one more thing: do a Scandisk with surface scan. I found out that Windows XP gets extremely sluggish if it tries to read or write to a damaged area on the hard drive. (Right click on the hard drive icon in My Computer -> Properties -> Tools -> Check for errors -> Put checkmark on both places -> reboot; watch the screen because I found that Windows skips the test at first and you need to repeat the above sequence once more -- the surface scan takes a long time)

That should take care of your problem.

Laszlo
Computer Wizard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users