Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows cannot find fictitious dll on boot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thirdkray

thirdkray

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:45 AM

This query was initially bumped to the malware forums, but on extensive investigation there was no malware to cause it so i have posted it back here:

WINXP PRO: Please advise how I can find the program or process requesting a .dll on boot so I can remove or disable it.

Error message: windows cannot find pschmdrf.dll

The .dll does not exist on my system and is not referenced in the registry.

Does anyone have this particular dll, and if so what program is it associated with? It may be I have to reinstall and uninstall something again more thoroughly to remove this call.

Using Process Manager, I did a laborious boot log which showed the .dll call itself but not what was asking for it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,549 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:16 AM

Try using Autoruns...to see if the startup reference remains from a removed malwaare item.

Follow Broni's instructions at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic406784.html/page__view__findpost__p__2314240 .

Louis

#3 thirdkray

thirdkray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:27 AM

The Autoruns log file contains no specific reference to that .dll

The only thing I can see maintenance wise is some "file not found" references in the drivers tab.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users