Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Faster PCI Network Card ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:43 AM

System: DELL Dimension 4400 XP/SP3 1.7gHz 768mb RAM CNET PRO200WL pci adapter AT&T DSL connection

I know this thing is old, but is there a faster ethernet PCI adapter that will run with this config ?
I can only go to 1 gig ram, which I will do; just looking for a way to speed up internet.
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:57 AM

Unless you have an unusually fast DSL connection (and I have an AT&T DSL connection myself, they ain't breaking no speed records) your current network card is not even breaking a sweat anyway, let alone saturating its 100Mbps maximum throughput. The only real-world situations where you would benefit from having, say, a gigbit LAN card installed would be if your had two computers in your house with gigabit adapters and were transferring a lot of data directly between them, you went out and got some insanely fast (for America) internet connection, or if your PC was acting as an internet gateway for (say) more than 5 other computers.

All that being said, basically any PCI LAN adapter will work with your setup. They aren't unusually demanding with regard to the computer they're installed in and will run you about $10-20. For example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833114004

To actually speed up your internet you would probably need to pay AT&T more money to give you a faster connection.

Edited by Andrew, 02 July 2011 - 05:00 AM.

#3 USN Vet

USN Vet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for your response.
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#4 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:35 AM

Have you tried testing your internet speed at a site such as: SpeedTest.net? It will tell you what your actual speed is to see if you are getting the speed your ISP is selling you.

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot you can do from the computer end to speed up you internet connection.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:53 PM

On that model the internet connection itself is the limiting factor in internet speed.

BTW I don't consider Optonline's Ultra internet insanely fast.... 101m

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users