Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Repair - is it gone?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 gatorbuilder

gatorbuilder

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:05 PM

My wife was searching for Photoshop help on Monday afternoon and ended up with the Windows Vista Repair virus/trojan. She knew enough to not click on anything to make it worse, so I'm not sure if the full virus was installed or not. I searched for it and found your removal thread, and followed the instructions (RKill, TDSSKiller and Malware Bytes). It appeared that the virus was gone (no more popups) but when I tried to run the unhide program, not everything came back. So we started putting the shortcut icons back on the desktop, and some of them appeared with the little Vista "shield" in the lower right corner (which was the icon for Windows Vista Repair).

Since then, I've followed the malware removal process from majorgeeks.com including SUPERAntiSpyware, Malware Bytes, ComboFix and MGTools. I know at least one of the programs found another infection of Windows Vista Repair and supposedly removed it. But the shield on the icons is still there.

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the computer, but my wife is a photographer and has thousands of photos on her external hard drive, which I don't want to hook back up to an infected computer. Is there any way to confirm this virus is gone? And if it is, should I be concerned about the icons?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users